Why

Why would someone be offended when someone else says Merry Christmas? I understand if your not religious or if you practice a different faith that doesn't celebrate Christmas but why be offended instead of just issuing your own well wishes back? It's not like they meant any harm to you.

2murphyboys

Asked by 2murphyboys at 4:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree. I would rather give someone well wishes and Christmas greetings than be too afraid and not greet someone at all I suppose.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I totally agree, people want to fight over the stupidest sh*t.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I wouldnt be offended at all if I were a non-christian and were wished well.

HOWEVER, I do think it is rude of Christians (and I am one) to simply assume EVERYone is Christian. There are MANY well wishes that are not "Merry Christmas".  I think it is very ego centric to go around saying it.

I personally take great care to wish my Jewish friends a Happy Chanukah, my Christian friends "Merry Christmas", and for those who I am unsure or who I know do not celebrate either "Happy Holidays" or what ever is appropriate at the time.

Anonymous

• It doesn't offend me when someone says merry Christmas to me, actually. I do sometimes get annoyed when someone "corrects" another, like a friend of mine who is a great christian, goes on mission trips and everything posted "second holiday party of the season" as her facebook status and someone else commented and said, CHRISTmas party dear, CHRISTmas party. - That's annoying, BUT it NEVER offends me when someone says "Merry Christmas!" to me with a smile on their face :-)

.Northernstar.

Answer by .Northernstar. at 4:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Me personally.. As a person who does not celebrate a holiday in the month of December.

I am not offended by "Merry Christmas"......... or......."Happy Holidays".. I take both phrases for what they are, well wishes. Nothing more nothing less.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• doesn't matter to me what they say...I smile and say it back

people who get upset or feel offended have...issues ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 5:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't care how someone chooses to word their holiday greetings. Its the thought that counts, and I appreciate the kindness behind the words, however they choose to word it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I am a Christian who does not say it but I would never get offended and I haven't gotten offended.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why would someone be offended when someone else says Merry Christmas?  Because they choose to be. Not everyone celebrates christmas, but christianity is a majority in the US so it is assumed. Those who take offense to well wishes were just looking for something to be offended about.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You know... I was not a Christian until 19 yrs of age and before that I never associated Merry Christmas with Christianity or Jesus. I grew up knowing it was a polite greeting to say to someone.
    Things sure have changed since I was a child! Sad too!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010