Why do people say one thing and mean another?

When I have a problem, I voice it. I never say yes to something if I can't do it. For some reason, all of the people who once told me "Any time you need a babysitter, call me" now can't. One of the many has a valid reason (she's a high school student, so she's not available during the weekdays.) Everyone else...just finds excuses. I don't ask often. I only work one day a week normally, with an occasional second day thrown in. I give advance notice as often as I can, and yet I NEVER have a sitter. Often people dont' even bother getting back to me. My MIL who will drive two hours to spend a week with her daughter (while her daughter works MIL stays at the apartment and babysits her young son) complains on the one day a month I ask her to babysit. I'm just so sick of it. I don't make enough money to pay for daycare. I hardly make enough money to make it worth the effort of getting to work, but I NEED to get out of this apartment and away from my son one day a week. Why is it so damned hard to find a sitter when people always tell me "Oh, you should've called me?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• That's one of my pet peeves, too, when people say they are going to do something and don't. I'm sorry you're in that situation. Maybe you need new friends.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't know but why do people, who I never even offered to babysit for, call me at the last minute to watch their kids just because I don't work? That's equally annoying.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Maybe you have asked the wrong people, I would stop asking the MIL because she isn't reliable. Maybe someone in your neighborhood can swap babysitting with you and then you don't have to pay anyone.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I can see that being problematic too. I have seven or eight people who claim they are willing to babysit, but then when the time comes and I need a sitter, no one's available. It's frustrating to have to work (mind you, I love my job and wouldnt give it up because of the social interaction with other adults that it provides) and not have a sitter. When I was hired I explained to the boss that it might be an occasional thing that I'd have to bring ds with me. Since then, we've changed administration, and it's no longer acceptible. They'll tolerate him for short periods, like half an hour if transportation is an issue (my husband often gets out of work at the same time I'm due in, so I have to keep DS with me for half an hour until DH can get to my place of work and pick him up.) but all day is not an option. I can understand this from an employer's standpoint, but at the same time, I told them I might need to bring him occas.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Cindy, unfortunately, because of financial issues, we cant afford to move, and the one person in the neighborhood I'd trust to watch my son (the rest are drug addicts, or nutjobs) is the highschool student mentioned in the origional post.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why don't you do play dates with other mothers and get to know some local people. Perhaps you could watch each others kids?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I used to have that problem as well after a while I stopped asking and started a play group thats when the baby sitting situation changed try it , it can only help.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yeah I know what you mean.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:27 PM on Dec. 8, 2010