Is there a way that I,myself would know that I've dilated?

I went to the doctor today and yet again he didn't check to see if I've dilated but keeps insisting that I'm still having braxton-hicks contractions. For 2wks now I've been having them off and on but lately they're lasting longer and he says everything is fine. If I'm seeing the yellowish color and I'm leaking some, how can I tell that I'm about to be labor from that?

LilMansMama2010

Asked by LilMansMama2010 at 5:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Dilation and loosing your mucus plug has NOTHING to do with labor. I was dilated to 3 cms at 32 weeks with my third baby, lost my mucus plug and dilated to 4 cms at 35 weeks. I delivered her at 38 weeks, 3 days.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm 35wks 5 days and I go back to the doctor Dec.14th he said that from there he'll get an ultrasound and determine when he'll induce me.
    LilMansMama2010

Comment by LilMansMama2010 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• First why is he inducing you? Is there a medical reason for it? If not then I highly recommend NOT allowing it. Second at 35 weeks you are likely still having braxton hicks and they are supposed to get stronger and more intense. Losing your plug and dilation tell you absolutely NOTHING about when you are going to go into labor so I give your doc KUDOS for not doing unnecessary checks that only open you up to infection and getting your hopes up for no reason.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• why is he going to induce you? He should start checking soon...You arent done baking the baby yet! Not much longer
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my dr. didn't check me until I was 36 weeks and didn't check me again until this thursday when I will be 40 weeks. You can have even real contractions and it not do anything because they are not regular.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes it's for medical reasons and then my stomach didn't expand enough for him to have moving room. He can't turn all the way around and it's causing complications. I miscarried my first baby. Everything is fine though and I've had all kinds of test run there is nothing physically wrong with.
    LilMansMama2010

Comment by LilMansMama2010 (original poster) at 4:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Most of the doctors here induce at 37wks and he's one of those doctors. He did my sister the same way and everything was fine with her. My mom had me at 29wks so that's another reason he's going to induce me bc since my 28thwk I've had many many complications.
    LilMansMama2010

Comment by LilMansMama2010 (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Dec. 8, 2010