What is the best way to assimilate your dogs to a new baby?

I am due in April with my first child. I have two wonderful canine babies that I need to get adjusted to the idea of a baby being around all the time! What have you guys tried? What did/didn't work?

babyruby02

Asked by babyruby02 at 5:42 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pets

• Definitely send the blanket home, and maybe a dirty diaper as well, there are a lot of weird smells for them to get used to! If your baby has his/her own room, let them check it out. Play the music from her mobile, turn the vibrate on in her chair. The more things they can be familiar with, the better.

When you come home with baby, make sure you great the dogs without the baby, as they're immediately going to want to check out the new little one. No matter what you do, remember: these are going to be like your baby's siblings; they may love or hate him/her, you kinda just need to wait and see. Use your best judgement, but, no matter what, never leave them alone with baby.

Good luck, I'll be anxious to hear how it goes!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Its so weird but dog's can sense pregnancy! Do you notice them following you around more? Thats what happened when my mom was pregnant with me. As soon as I was born my german shepard went right up to me and licked my face! Just hold their collars when the baby gets home and let them sniff out the baby so that they can get to know them and get used to his/her smell! GL It should be fine! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Hubby brought a hat home that baby wore while in the hospital the day before baby came home. It was rough the first couple weeks cause Rufus had been the "baby" for five years and it was really hard for him to adjust. But after that first couple weeks, he started adjusting, seeing that he wasn't forgotten about.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 5:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Thats a good idea LadyKiki!!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• My hubby brought home one of the blankets from the hospital a day before I got home and gave it to my doggie. He was fine when we brought the baby home. He was actually happy and was licking the baby's feet. Now he is totally fine with the baby but a little jealous when i give the baby more attention than him.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• We made sure the dog got familiar with the baby things as we brought them home. Once she came home we made sure to give him the same attention as before and let him smell her and her things. A word of caution, though: NEVER leave the baby alone with the dogs. We didn't even put her on the floor for a while. Sometimes they get confused and think the baby is a small animal and could get rough. After a while--I guess about a year-- the dog would let my daughter crawl all over him, but we were very careful until we were confident he wouldn't get aggressive.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 6:48 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• i would take as many blankets and onesies home from the hospital as you can. each time i changed my baby in the hospital i put the blanket and onesie away and had my fiance take them home to let the dogs smell them. by the time i got home as soon and they sniffed her they knew who she was gave her a kiss on her feet and went on their way
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:39 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There is a CD called "Preparing Fido", you can only find it online. That thing is awesome!! And, yes, bring home the blanket.

http://preparingfido.com/
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:59 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• make sure you go in first to greet your dog. let you husband or so bring the baby in. that way the dog gets his crazies out b4 the baby comes in. do let the baby and dog be together in the same room. make sure you make baby be a good thing. when baby is in the room play with the dog. when the baby is in the room pet the dog. when baby is in the room try and give the dog attention. let him sniff the baby when you bring him home. Oh try not to disaplin the dog when the baby is in the room.
    titus03mom

Answer by titus03mom at 9:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• This is all great advice!! Thanks ladies!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 10, 2008