I think my daughter has pneumonia but keeps going to school and stuff

Every night I give her med's and tell her to go to sleep. She is 17, is sniffy and coughing and complaining her chest hurts. Her nose is red and she goes to sleep early every night. Is she going to make her self sicker or can you just heal from pneumonia?
Please feel free to call me a bad mom if you want to. She has a really difficult school schedule as she is a senior and I let her make her own mind up if she wants to miss school or not.

mmmegan38

Asked by mmmegan38 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• If she has fluid and infection in her lungs (which is pneumonia), then she needs antibiotics no matter what! Get her to the Dr. ASAP. Our 7 yr old had a partially collapsed lung when he had it a few weeks ago, so don't take chances, and end up with her in the Hospital!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I understand that Senior Year can be busy but your daughter needs to be seen by a physician. There are several different kinds of pneumonia and you need to find out which one (if any) she has. She may need antibiotics. She definitely needs a chest X-Ray and to let a doctor listen to her lungs. If left untreated pneumonia can lead to serious complications and it can also be contagious so she does need to make the time to see a physician ASAP.
    CocoaQT

Answer by CocoaQT at 5:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• She should go to a doctor then have the teachers give her make-up homework to do at home.

The last thing you want is for her to get sicker then her friends get it as well.
    Andriya

Answer by Andriya at 5:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You can die from it if it isn't handled properly. Especially if you have preexising conditions. You need to take her to the doctor.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have heard of people who've died from walking Pneumonia. I think I'd take her to a doctor soon.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 5:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• This sounds sick, but not pneumonia. When I had pneumonia, I coughed until I couldn't catch my breath, my chest rattled and I was weak as a new kitten afterwards. I couldn't be on my feet for more than 10-15 min. at a time w/o a 4-hour nap afterwards. I missed 2.5 months of school my Sophomore year.

Take her to the dr. If they hear chest noises, they may order an x-ray to rule out fluid in her lungs.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Right now her health is more important than school. Get her to a doctor asap!
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• How long has this been going on? Honestly, I'd make a Dr's appointment for her (early in the morning if possible) and just take her. she's 17 and has a busy schedule, understood, but you're still the mom...and she won't have to miss a whole day if it's "nothing"...but if it's "something" then she needs medicine to help her out.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 12:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• A person can die from pnemonia and they can spread it to other innocent people. Take her to the doctor and do not let her go to school until she has a release from the doctor. You are possibly spreading something to a lot of people.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010