What the FUCK is the point of paying for "maternity" insurance if you can ONLY sign up for it BEFORE you even get pregnant? What happens if you sign up and pay all that money out of pocket for it but don't end up getting pregnant? They obviously are not going to refund your money adult content

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That is the way all insurance works, car insurance won't let you sign up or lower your deductible after you get into a wreck to cover that wreck, life insurance won't take you if you have been diagnosed with cancer-they want our money and hope that they never have to help us out-they aren't the good fairies they make themselves out to be on paper.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It's because if we only ever purchased insurance for when we were going to need it, the insurance companies wouldn't be able to cover costs. Insurance works because people who don't need it at that moment are paying along with the people who are using it. Even $350/mo for those 9 months won't cover the expense of 9 months of OB appointments and a hospital delivery. So, to be sure that people aren't going to just buy insurance when they happen to need it and drop it afterward, they won't cover pre-existing conditions.

I know it's frustrating, I went through it with my first. But, it's modern life. If you're of child-bearing age and may get pregnant, you need to carry insurance or plan for a homebirth.

Which, is a very good option. Homebirth and birth center births are much less expensive, they're inclusive (one price for all care) and you can pay over the course of your pregnancy.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• LMAO! Disgruntled? .... Bump!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What insurance is that??? heck no they won't pay you back, that is how the companies make bank!!!
    BobbieJo286

Answer by BobbieJo286 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• With any insurance company, they are betting on you not making a claim and you are betting you will. Like with life insurance you are basically betting you'll die and they are betting you won't. If they had rules that made it so everyone got their money back if they didn't make a claim they wouldn't be able to stay in business.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Assuming you are self insured. Yeah it sucks. We were in that position and ended up having to incorporate just so we could get fair health benefits. Oh and BTW even when you do go through the waiting period they will only cover up to a certain dollar amount. It's complete bullshit.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It's optional coverage to keep costs down for those of us who will not get pregnant. Private insurance is so expensive,
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Or, start a health savings account with your work. That's an option, too, and a very good one! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 6:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That's the way insurances work....
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When I had my 1st baby I was going to get aflac and they said that if I was to have the baby before 10 months of having coverage they would not pay a dime. They would pay if I had to go on bed rest at any point before then. I ended up getting a different policy and they did pay my maternity leave but only 60% and I had to be off for 2 weeks but I was happy with that it was better than nothing.
    Candie2008

Answer by Candie2008 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010