• In the Spotlight:

How would you feel if this was said to you?

A friend of mine at work was pissed that Obama was elected President. I asked her why she was so upset. She said that her husband would have to come home from Afganistan(he's a civilian), that she didn't want the soldiers to come home because her husband would lose his job. She said she had gotten use to having all the money and wanted the soldiers to stay so her husband could stay. I know how I feel about this , but, I want to know others opinions just of this. My mouth dropped wide open with astonishment.Do people honestly feel this way or was she just the exception?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• My sister is in Afghanistan now; and as much as she wants to come home and be home she knows that she is there for a good reason and wants to see the job get done and done right!!!! She was voting for McCain and so where all of her comrades!!
    Anonymous

• I don't understand this reasoning. Just because they are not in Iraq doesn't mean they have to leave the military. I know people with very long military careers. I don't know how it would make me feel to have someone tell me this but I would tell them that you can re-up whether there is a war or not. It's possible they get more money for being over there but it's pretty selfish to want it to still go on and have more people get hurt just so you can have more money.
    EvaLee

Answer by EvaLee at 6:19 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• She sounds like a greedy b*tch. That is so wrong of her to say that and want the soldiers to keep getting killed becuae her husband makes good money there and she is spending it here.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It doesn't matter who you voted for the fact that she is okay with her husband remaining over there to keep getting money is terrible. This whole situation with both wars Afghanistan and Iraq needs to get over with quickly to many soldiers and middle easterns dieing, and not to mention that spending 10 billion a month does not help anything. That woman was incredibly selfish to think of herself. Heaven forbid it but if something happens to her husband what would she do, I wonder if she has children if she does that makes it worse, children need their father. all I can say is WOW
    Jenlos

Answer by Jenlos at 6:25 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I wouldn't know, I don't have family serving across seas. I think the brave men and women in our milityary have a different sense of duty than the normal citizen. Maybe her DH doesn't want to come home either. Facing the prospect of not having an income is frightening. Instead of being horrified by her reaction, you could use this as a conversation starter about her DH's skills and then think of all of the jobs that he would be able to do when he gets out of the military.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:27 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• this may be a stupid question but i thought they only get like 300 to 500 a month? and i have a brother but i never asked how much he makes cause its really not my business and don';t want him to think i am nosey but i know he has resign up 3 times already
    Anonymous

• she is just a stupid person. there are young men and women dying everyday and she want them them to stay b/c of money. this just shows how small os a person she is. ti anon at 6:28 their base pay isnt that much but thet get a "bonus" if you can call it that for being "in harms way" its a set amount that they get everyday that they are in harms way so if they are in Iraq or afghanistan or any other country thats in turmoil.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 6:44 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• To each his own but you could have just told her he could go to Afganistan or Pakistan or any other place Obama sends the troops. I'm sure he won't be out of a job long.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• anon 6:28...they make way more than that. pay also depends on rank. the lowest ranking soldier makes about 1300 +hazard pay+pay for kids, housing for family, and other things. and they have no taxes taken out their check That total can easily go up to 2500. Pay also depends on how long the person has been in the military. The highest ranking soldier (5 star general) with over 34 years of service can make around 17,000 plus all that other stuff.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 6:58 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• If you read what I wrote, I was talking about a civilian who makes over 200,000 a year tax free, not a soldier. I was never talking about a soldier except to say that she wants them to stay so HE( her husband who is a civilian) will have a civilian job.Theres a big difference in what people are answering and what I wrote. I hope this does not offend military families because i was NOT talking about you, no way, uhuh. I am from a military family, have military in my family, was in the military myself.
    Anonymous