Does anyone use Mirena birth control?

I just got the Mirena IUD inserted a couple weeks ago. My doctor said I should occasionaly check to see if it is still in place by feeling for the string that hangs down. I am pretty comfortable with my body but cannot feel the string. Has anyone else been able to do this or have any advice for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:18 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Health

• i have the mirena but i have actually never checked the strings. i just i kinda figure if it is outta place i will feel some pain or something odd anyways, and i can check then.
    muensters_ma

Answer by muensters_ma at 1:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have it and have for over 2 years... I love it... and believe it was the best thing I have ever done BC wise...
    Anyway yes it is good to check for it, and yes everyone has a hard time finding it... especially if you use tampons, or have just had sex..
    becuase the string curls up and "sticks" to the side, and it is not hanging down where you have loacte it easily.
    I know that sunds strange, and so will this.. but the best way to descibe how to find the string is...
    stick you finger in (like you were going to play with yourself) and swirl it around in a circular motion.
    I hope that helps, it is very rare that it will fall out or move out of place... but it doesnt hurt to check...
    if you have any other questions feel free to send me a pm and ask!
    regmomstuff

Answer by regmomstuff at 3:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I have never been able to feel the string! I am always surprised when I go for checkups and it is still there. The doc told me that the string is like fishing line. It gets softer and eventually wraps its self around your cervix.
    PurpleNurples

Answer by PurpleNurples at 5:04 PM on Jul. 16, 2008