Would you have a furnace in your child's bedroom?

When we got this house we didn't have our second baby. The third room was apparently a small office. That is where the furnace is located. It is an old unit. We will be replacing it soon. We are getting estimates on a new unit and estimates on moving it into another room, not one of the bedrooms, that way our kids can each have a room. The salesman who saw it today said the new units are so safe it's okay to have it in what will be our baby's bedroom. His exact words were "the cost of ductwork and that kind of thing that will be required to move it would be prohibitive. You should just put the new unit in that bedroom." I would never draw an easy breath or get a decent night's sleep if the furnace, I don't care how new and safe it is, were in my child's bedroom.

Am I alone on this?

wildflowers25

Asked by wildflowers25 at 6:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• There is no risk of having the furnace in with LO.

It will be noisy, but that is all.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No furnace in my baby's room or in the baby I'm pregnant with's room. I don't blame you though. Do lots of research.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• no!!!!! I would not
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Can you build a little wall around it?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It's in the hallway outside the bedroom, so I would have no worries even if it were in the bedroom. The previous one was right off the living room, so I am really not seeing any differences.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm thinking no but I would have to do research.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:52 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What kind of furnace? Gas? Electric? I'd think it would be noisy, but it would be toasty warm in there. The cost to move it will be high. Completely aside from the cost of the furnace and the actual tin for the duct work, there's all the labour for installation, plus where will the ducting run? In the walls/ceiling? That means construction - drywall, painting, etc. Otherwise you'll have to have a bulkhead built - again drywall and painting, plus losing head room where ever the ducting runs. Personally I'd wall the furnace off, build a closet around it. I'd also go with an electric furnace - but that's partly for cost reasons, gas is expensive and not likely to go down and in my opinion safer than gas.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 8:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would, my son (3 though not a baby) has a radiator heater in his room and its fine. The newer furnaces are safe as far as CO2 output, but I would still buy a CO2 alarm that alerts you if it is emitting it.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Kick that salesman to the curb! no way even with 100 carbon monoxide monitors would I allow a furnace in a child's room

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i personally wouldnt
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010