When should I worry about too much sleep?

My daughter is 16 weeks old. She's been sleeping...A LOT!!! She sleeps 12 hours a night. Then gets up for about an hour to an hour and a half and goes down for another hour. Then gets up for about an hour and goes down for three to four hours. Then gets up for an hour or two and is back down for an hour... up for another hour or so and goes down around seven. That's like 18 hours per day. Does that seem strange to anyone?

HaydensMommy708

Asked by HaydensMommy708 at 6:17 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldnt worry. She is still an infant and needs her sleep. Just mention it to her Dr on her next appt. Just let her be. That goes for all ages; if your sleeping that much then your body needs it! GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I wouldn't worry about it. She's an infant and sleeping a lot just means she's growing a lot.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• First of all, say thank you she sleeps through the night. As long as she's gaining weight, etc. it's probably nothing to worry about. You could talk to your pediatrician, though. I was a premie and MD told my mom I would wake up more often to eat. She got worried (I was like your daughter) so she called and he said, "she'll wake up when she's hungry." To this day I still LOVE to sleep.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 6:43 PM on Nov. 6, 2008