Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps


Okay so I've researched and researched and finally have given up so I thought I will ask all of you.

I am 21. I work full to part time (event staff employee) and I also attend college full time. My mom wants to claim me on her taxes and I was wondering if it will hurt me in the end. I don't mind that she does because I live with her rent free, but she is unemployed so I pay for a few things here and there to help her out. I was able to file my taxes this year because she had claimed me as well. So like I said before will it hurt me if she claims me again since I do work. I also have a baby on the way. I read in a few of my finds that she can up until I'm 24 since I'm a full time student. I tried talking to her about but she really isn't the type to reason with she just keeps saying well you live me. I need some advice ladies.

Thank you.



She doesn't help me pay for anything. I pay for most of it. Except rent and utilities. Her boyfriend pays all of that.

Answer Question

Asked by new_mommie_2b at 7:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 8 (218 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • I don't believe she can claim you.

    Answer by Snewo at 7:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • I would call a tax person and just ask them.

    Answer by Snewo at 7:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • I don't know if she can... either way if she claims you you can't claim your self. I remember than from when I was working at 16.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • I'm pretty sure the rule is...whoever pays more than 50% of the dependants care can claim the if your mother pays more than 50% of your, food, clothes, bills ect then she would claim you. if you pay more than 50% than you would claim yourself....But i'll also point this out you have no dependant and are not your head of household so you would probebly get close to nothing back....she would be claiming you as a dependant and probebly the head of her household which mean thats shed get a pretty nice chunck of change back or at least a really great it wont hurt you to let her claim you and it would probebly help her out alot more then it would help you.

    Answer by Finkette at 7:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • oh and if you decide to try and slip by and file without her knowing she can go to the IRS and fight for the dependant claim and if they feel she had the right to claiim could be facing a ton of penalties and fines.... be careful

    Answer by Finkette at 7:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • You can still file a return on your own since you work. You will be entitled to a special (modified) dependent exemption when you file separate return as well, even if she claims you on her taxes. Additionally if you are a student and you, yourself pay for any expenses that are related to going to school could be considered as deductions on your own return like tuition expenses, etc. There are special forms for taking off for these college related expenses. There are special forms for deductions and credits for education. You need to see which of those forms fits your situation because it is based on out of pocket expenses.

    Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • You can file, but I don't think you are going to get anything back. Maybe if you let her claim you, you can talk her into splitting that money?? You'll get more back after you have the baby, but everything has changed so much, even that won't be much anymore.

    Answer by m-avi at 7:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • My freshman year my mom and I came across this issue. I didnt live with her except on holidays and received no support from her. But she filed her taxes before me and "accidentally" claimed me by answering a question incorrectly...whatever the case maybe..It ended up hurting my return like 600 bucks! She got money for claiming me, and I got like 100 bucks for filing taxes from me working!....I would talk to your mom about getting some of the money from her claiming you..but seriously your living rent free....worry about it more next year when you can claim your child! Right now your mom isnt going to get a substantial amount from claiming you!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • I'm not 100% sure, because I believe it has to do with how much you made salary-wise and whether you rely on her for support or not.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

  • Call the IRS; they are very helpful

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.