Am I a mean mom?

Considering using the first 2 hours after the kids crash as piano practice time. Its better than  some kids who have to go to bed with the sound of fighting parents, right? (Yeah, I'm really making strong, irrelevant comparisons in my favor, haha.)

I have the idea that once they get used to it, it will be background noise, and a fond memory.....going to bed with their own personal lullaby. :) Or I'll annoy the crap out of them. Who knows, anything's possible.
Maybe a white noise machine would help neutralize my position?

Sarahsdawn

Asked by Sarahsdawn at 7:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• No, you are a mom that needs to fix what is broken in her relationship, not cover it up.

Answer by older at 7:26 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh, the meanest! Haha! IDK, give it a shot. If it's not too loud, they may enjoy it. But, then again, when they get used to it, and you don't play, they may not be able to fall asleep!
    My daughter 'can't' go to sleep without music playing. My middle son used to be that way, too. Sometimes he still wants music, though. Try it, they may appreciate it!
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Give it a try and see how it goes- I'm pretty sure anything will be better than their parents fighting!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh, crap. I didn't mean "us" fighting....just comparing to kids who *do* have to go to sleep listening to that. Sorry for the confusion! :)
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 7:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well do you suck at piano? Because if you do, I'd be hatred. Hahaha!
    How can you sleep with noise??? I can't.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I should think not, I've been playing most of my life! lol. But kids have an opinion on everything....especially 5 year olds! (wink, wink.) ;)
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think the piano sounds like a great idea, unless it is interfering w/ their sleep. Are you good at it? If not, & you need the practice, then maybe the white noise thing is a good idea until you get good. :) If you are using the piano time to relieve stress- great. If it's to avoid your spouse, then that's not good. Overall, if you have a song in your heart, you cant go wrong with that! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Note: the fighting parents thing....not us. Just a dumb comparison on my part. (Besides, who has the energy to fight? Make love, not war! ;)
    Sarahsdawn

Comment by Sarahsdawn (original poster) at 7:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• LOL! Well then play!! Play! :)
    If its not disturbing, go for it. (by disturbing I mean disturbing there sleep.)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I am confused, you are saying that you play the piano after they go to sleep and you wonder if it's bad that the kids have to hear it? You are not saying you have the music going to cover up you and DH fighting, right? I am a firm believer in continuing to do what you would normally do after the kids go to bed. Run the washing maching, watch tv, listen to the radio, etc as long as it is all at a normal level. I mean I wouldn't invite the neighbors over and have a party with the music blaring but you playing the piano will probably end up being something that they talk about as an adult as one of the things they remember as a kid and they will say it with fond memories. I hope I understood the post right.
    Anonymous