First Lady Accused of Not Rubbing Elbows Often Enough with DC’s Elite, is that a bad thing?

As Michelle Obama continues to define her role as First Lady, she has been hit with yet another round of criticism, this time for not being more visible among Washington’s social swirl.

While Obama has lived up to most expectations to expand her social life in the nation’s capital, according to a new book, “Revival: The Struggle for Survival inside the Obama White House,” by former Newsweek reporter Richard Wolffe, she still tends to keep too much to herself.

http://www.afro.com/sections/news/afro_briefs/story.htm?storyid=3368

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 8:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why should she hob knob with them?

I wouldn't

Why would anyone care?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And if she WAS "rubbing elbows with D.C.'s elite" she'd be spending too much time "rubbing elbows with D.C.'s elite". Did they ever consider that she's not "keeping to herself", she's spending time with her children?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If it's what's expected, then yes, she should. If it makes her seem snotty and it makes people think less of her, she needs to make some changes. It's not that she needs to do it just because it's what people want her to do. But, it's politics, you have to play the game. She's not playing the game. It doesn't make her look good.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• She wasn't elected. She just the wife of the President. . In the big picture~ as long as she isn't wasting taxpayer money or calling to mandate/alter/modify people lifes who cares what she does?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think it is awesome. I am sure she is raising her children and being a good wife. That is what this country really needs.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• She's too busy trying to find their non-existent dog, that her husband promised their kids, made them name after him,and then no one's seen the dog in months. I say let her stay hidden. I would too with a face like her's!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I don't care if she does or doesn't socialize. I don't know why anyone else would care if she did or didn't. I think staying out of the lime light is a good idea. Overexposure is never a good thing.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• . Overexposure is never a good thing

Her husband is living proof of that, if ever there was anyone!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Some will obviously find fault in any and everything that the Obama's do.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 8:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I really don't have an opinion here
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010