If you observe the Santa Claus tradition...

...how does it work in your home?
Does Santa give EVERYTHING to the children or just stocking stuffing...or some other variation?

How do you handle the whole mythos?
What traditions do you observe regarding Santa Claus?

boomamma

Asked by boomamma at 8:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Holidays

• In our home growing up, Santa filled all the stockings and gave my sister and I some of the more desired toys.
    My mom would also get something from Santa ;)
    My DH and I were discussing how we are going to manage this with our little family, since we have to set it in stone to keep consistent.
    I voted for
    -fill stockings
    -some or all of the toys in the child's letter TO Santa

but other presents are from us.

I don't think EVERYTHING should be from Santa, because It just thickens the potential problems later if and when there is shaken faith over his existence.
    boomamma

Comment by boomamma (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• In my house, the gifts from mom and dad are under the tree before Christmas, then "Santa" leaves gifts (in different color wrapping paper) leaves the rest and stockings while the kids sleep.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• In our house, Santa brings one big gift, generally for the three kids to enjoy together. The biggest hit was the year that Santa brought guinea pigs... my daughter still wonders where Santa found guinea pigs at the North Pole! LOL! Other years Santa has brought a play kitchen for the kids, toboggans, a train table, a bin of dress up clothes... one large item that is for all three kids to use equally. Santa also brings guinea pig supplies every year now... after all, he gave them to us so he should help us maintain them, right? LOL!

Other presents are from Mom and Dad... Santa doesn't bring all the gifts. When I grew up Santa did stockings but with three kids that ended up being a lot of crap that was really only there to fill out the stocking, so the one big item works much better for us.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Santa fills stockings and get 1 maybe 2 gifts we get the rest.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well, my son isn't old enough to get the whole Santa thing yet, but as a child, some of the presents were from Santa (and Mrs. Claus, lol), and some were from my parents. It was split about equally. I'll probably do the same when my son is older.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Santa brings everything and fills the stockings. We dont get them anything....It was that way for me and dh when we were growing up. This year I am gonna start doing PJ's on Christmas Eve from us...but big deal right? lol We never thought anything of not getting from our parents. I never realized anyone did it differently until my brother and his wife got in a huge fight over it! Santa only brought 1 unwrapped toy in her house...lol....I never asked who won that fight, but I bet santa is there for a verrry short time! hahaha
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• When kids were little Santa brought the crazy expensive gift that mom said no way but dad bought any way lol Now at 7-10, in our home Santa Claus is the spirit of the season he can look like jolly ole St. Nick or it can be anyone who gives of them self during anytime of the year. So Joey can be Santa Claus when he spends his allowance to buy his shoebox Christmas gift for a child he does not know. Lili is Santa Claus when she shovels the neighbors walk without acknowledgement or compensation. The man in the suit is just a reminder to us all to be the best we can be as people. Santa Claus does not visit our home because we can provide each other with everything we need but Santa does report in and anyone who does not believe in Santa does not get gifts including hubby that is their present to Mom.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 8:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• thank you for your question your family sounds lovely, finally a christmas post that is just plain nice - no drama.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 8:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm glad for the responses!
    I think we'll be having the BIG gift from Santa too...and whatever fits in the stocking :)

I am a BIG believer in Santa having his OWN special wrapping paper though.
    I have a vivid memory of opening gifts in a paper I had never seen before and there was something magical about that :)
    boomamma

Comment by boomamma (original poster) at 10:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We always grew up with Santa bringing 1 big gift for each of us and then filled our stocking with smaller things our parents got us other things. That's how I do it with my family now but I started doing the new Pj's thing a few years ago we read Twas the night before Chritsmas, put out all of Santas cookies/milk and carrots for the reindeeer even us Mom & dad get our stockings filled by Santa no big gifts for us though and Santa gifts are wrapped in seperate wrapping paper that no one knows about. I really can't remember when my oldest 2 found out about Sanat but I know they weren't devasted or anything and never did feel like they were lied to they kept going for a while since they knew all the extra gifts would stop I think they were quite old maybe 15ish. It's all about the MAGIC !!!!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2010