Music in church

This is a bit of a silly question, but in your church is the music always a little off beat? I do believe I am where I am supposed to be, but I have to admit that I miss having a music ministry where the beats are on time. At our current church, one verse ends and the organist goes right into the next one without counting the extra beat or two that should be in between.

I know this is a petty issue and not a big deal at all. I've just always wondered about this since I was a little kid.

Iamgr8teful

Asked by Iamgr8teful at 8:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• No we have a very skilled worship team. I know its small but it is a blessing that the "joyful noise" is also in key and on tempo.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Funny you should ask. Yes, we are a little off key at times.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 9:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I guess I'll clarify. I'm just talking about the organist. It's hard to sing when the next verse doesn't come quite when you expect it. As I said, not a big deal, just something I've noticed in a lot of churches and always wondered about. ;-)
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 9:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Nope but we do not have an organist... we have keyboard, drums, guitar and banjo kind of drums and voice.. sometimes the flute or the penny flute and shofar is blown from time to time. We also have worship dancers... mostly interceding for the worship team .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Shaneagle, our previous church (a non-denominational charismatic church) has a worship team like what you described, complete with the dancers sometimes. I loved it. The "off beat" thing is something I've noticed in mainly liturgical churches. Maybe it's a generational thing? IDK.
    Iamgr8teful

Comment by Iamgr8teful (original poster) at 9:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No. Our worship team is more like what Shaneagle777 explained. We have guitars, drums, bongos, keyboard and sometimes piano. No organ at our church.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• well not off beat but off-key from time to time. i go to a Church of Christ so there are no instruments (personal thing not a requirement) which leads to all sorts of off-key moments and occasionally an off-tempo one depending on whose leading the singing. its not important but man it can get annoying and distracting!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No, our music team (choir, etc) is always pretty precise. We have an amazing head of music, or whatever you want to call her, lol, and a lot of talented people involved in the music in general. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The last church we attended had a professional set up. Video screens with the words to the songs, piped in music and a music ministry leader. As best as I can remember, there weren't any hymnals in the pews after they built the huge church with the video screens. But I have been in churches where the organist did get a little carried away and didn't pause when she should have ... everyone just kept going.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• SpiritedWitch: That is how my church is. The words to the contemporary songs are on the screens. We do not have hymnals. We don't even sit in pews. We have chairs. Pews are so uncomfortable.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 11:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010