oh my gosh I can't believe my 5.5 year old said this and were she even got it? She is in kindergarden though so maybe from there I have no idea

I am 5 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby and she asks me if the baby was going to be black? I told her no. Then she goes on to tell me well if you have a black baby I am noooot going to touch it. I couldnot believe she said that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My older brother was terrified my mom would bring home a Chinese baby when he was about that age. (When my sister was being born). I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• oh wow lmbo that is funny how old was he?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Kindergarden is a tuff time. I have one there now. She might have a black child in her class that is not her friend for some reason. It is hard at that age to not group everyone together. Just expain it the best you can. Ask why she would not want to touch a black baby.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He was in kindergarten too, 6 I believe.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 8:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• see i know she has a black friend in school cause she talks about her all the time and she says she plays with her and everything so I was suprised when she said that
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• LOL that made me laugh! Kids are so candid it is really great actually. That is such a normal response, just honest curiosity, it means she is noticing things and people around her. She just needs to have an honest answer from you that you will not be having a black baby, but also that there is nothing different about a black baby to be worried about.
    My 4 year old had a black preschool teacher who we all loved dearly, she was the best preschool teacher in the world. One day she asked her teacher if black skin was itchy. Her teacher, being very experienced with 4 year olds just laughed and let her know that her skin feels no different than my daughter's skin. Then she said, "out of the mouth of babes" LOL
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 9:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My brother once ask a Black man why he was so dirty..(first time seeing someone who wasn't white) the man laughed as my mom who was horrified and embarrassed explained to my brother and apologized at the same time. he was around 5.

My husband asked our son what color mommy was,,,white. What color is daddy? ummmm...brown! My husband is italian, and has a nice year round tan.

I burst out laughing when he said it. .

Its natural, kids just don't know what to think lol
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't think too much about the part where she asked if the baby was going to be black. I think that kids see skin color as just another difference like eye color or hair color (at least until their minds are polluted by someone with a different idea). I think I would address the part where she said she wouldn't want to touch the baby if he or she were black. I'd want to find out why she felt that way. Maybe she hasn't been around many people who look different than her. At that age, this seems like a pretty normal comment, though. I wouldn't be too concerned.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If she has a black friend at school, then she is probably trying to work out her confusion over something she heard somewhere. Maybe someone made a racist comment and she does not understand it. She has this nice friend at school she plays with, but she is hearing someone say bad things about black people. I would talk to her about it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 10:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• This is most likely not a race thing as it is a different from me thing. My DD had a boy from India in her class when she was young. She didn't like his skin. I explained that we all come in different colors, skin, hair, eyes, but that we are all exactally the same. It passed, and she now thinks nothing of it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:32 AM on Dec. 8, 2010