Can you adopt through fostering in most states?

How does it work exactly? We have 2 young kids and if we did adopt we'd want ages 5 or older, I'd be willing to take in a pair of siblings. Would it make more sense for my younger 2 to be much older? Or wait until my youngest is closer to say 3 and introduce older kids into the mix? I want more kids, I want to have a large family. I HATED being pregnant and I've had 2 c-sections so the idea of having 4 or more children is out the window. Plus, I figure there are just sooo many kids out there who need a stable, loving home and we have that, so why not bring kids into it that really need it? I know both my husband and I are going to accept and love those kids the second they walk through our doors, before they'd even be legally ours we'd consider them ours. I was looking around on profiles tonight and I was reading some chidlren's stories and I just wanted to adopt them all! KWIM? Anyways, any advice or tips for me and the hubs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Adoption

• Personally, I would wait until your children are older, by a couple of years, for safety reasons, plus there are a lot of discussions on keeping birth order intact . Each state has different laws, some states you can adopt with a regular home study other states you have to be licensed foster parents in your home state to even be considered, so it could possibly speed up the process to become licensed when you are ready to start the adoption process, and increase your chances, we regret not doing that ourselves. We searched for 1 1/2 years until we were finally matched online, each child averages 50-100 families inquiring, it's a shark tank trying to get matched. Relationships are very important between you and caseworkers. People think it is better to try to adopt through photo galleries instead of becoming licensed, saves on heart ache, I can personally tell you that is wrong! It's a roller coaster process.... Continued
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• states are different , here(NJ) you can foster to adopt-congrats on your decision
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My husband and I adopted 3 siblings from foster care almost 11 years ago and it was the best decision we ever made. Call your county CYS and find out the local procedure for signing up as a foster family. You'll have to go to some training probably and that can help answer some of your questions concerning ages, etc. Good luck and blessings on your family!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• It's a roller coaster process with very high highs and very low lows... Would I recommend it, no... Would I do it again, in a heart beat! My husband and I was blessed to have a miracle prince through pregnancy, but was unable to have more. I am so blessed to have my little prince and my new little princess all tucked in their beds sleeping...
    TiffyTaffy79

Answer by TiffyTaffy79 at 11:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010