baby bed to toddler bed???

my son LOVES cars the movie. So my mother-in-law bought him the toddler bed, bedset, and the curtains for his room as a christmas present. My husband is pissed though cause he doesn't think our 2 year old is old enough to sleep on his own.

I am perfetly ok with it. In fact I would prefer my son to not be in his baby bed anymore. He always goes to bed on time with out any fuss, and never cries when he wakes up in the morning. He just lays there and plays and talks to himself. I argued that a toddler bed would help with potty training and he would be able to get up and play with his toys in his room if he wanted to. I ALWAYS get out of bed when I hear he is up anyways so I don't see the big deal.

What do you guys think about it? What age did take your toddlers baby bed away? What are some downfalls to a toddler bed?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 8:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• It really depends on the child in question. My son didn't move out of his crib until 2.5 years; he never even tried to climb out or anything, until one night he just refused to sleep in the crib, and he's slept in his big bed ever since with no issues of having to get him back in bed when it's time for sleep. My 19-month-old is still in her baby bed, and while she protests and I think she is ready for a big bed, I also think I'll have a hard time keeping her in bed, but we shall see.

You could always set up the bed in the room with his crib and let him decide when he's ready. That's what we did with our oldest. It didn't happen right away, but when he was ready, the bed was ready. It might be a good compromise, anyway.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my daughter is 22 months old now, and she has been sleeping in her toddler bed for a week, and it has gone great!!!!! it was so easy, and she loves her toddler bed, and act. sleeps better at night in it.
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 8:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my daughter is 20months and i am scared to switch to a toddler bed because i feel she will not stay in and she will roam around the house or something. i just don;t feel she is ready. but i think its like everything else the kids are ready at different times. if you feel he is ready he is ready. try it out and she how it goes. maybe he just doesn;t want him to be a big boy yet. sometimes its hard to let go.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My kids all went straight to a twin/full size bed from their cribs around 2. My 4th we just switched to a big boy bed at 20 months (he was climbing out of his crib).

Answer by missanc at 9:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My daughter was about 2 when I switched her bed. I was pregnant with my second child and couldn't lean in the crib anymore!!! She never gets out of it and has never roamed around the house alone. I put the baby monitor in her room for a while so I could hear if she got out or fell out of bed (only twice!). Going through a faze and is scared of her room right now so sleeping with me at the moment.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My youngest ds was switched to a toddler bed before he was 18 mos. He was climbing out out all the time and would even climb into it when he was tired or I said it was time for bed. I was afraid he'd get hurt climbing, so we transitioned young.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My 3 year old could climb out of his crib around 18 months. I think 2 is around the right age to move from the crib.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 7, 2010