Depression..

How can you tell if you are clinically depressed and you need medication or it's just something that you can get out of yourself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Health

• I would talk to a doctor. They can help you differentiate and offer treatment options.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:50 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Talk to your dr about it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 8:51 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Usually if you feel like you cant get out of a depressed state and have no hope you really need help but if it's something you feel like you can conquer you might be able to, but I would still get help.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• most times u have to talk to a doc! but with a healthy lifestyle and thinking positive u can solve it naturally but most times it takes meds!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:17 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I struggle with depression and it is not just something that goes away on it's own. It is "normal" to feel bad sometimes but if its an everyday thing and its been going on for a while seek help. there's some great medications that can help you cope
    treeleaf

Answer by treeleaf at 9:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If you feel a sadness and down for a pretty good length of time, chances are your depressed. You loose interest in things, and want to sit around and be by yourself and do nothing sometimes. I'd ask your Dr. and he can ask you certain questions, and then you can get meds to help you. I have been treated since my DD was assaulted and then killed so I know how it goes. My best to you, but it won't go away on it's own, you need to call your Dr.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would discuss this with your doctor. You can go to webmd.com and look up depression symptoms, but it won't tell you if you need medication; only your doctor can do that.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• First of all...talk to a Dr and have them diagnose you but don't take any of the meds. They don't help and when you go back, the dr will just add another and another and another will your all meded up and a pill popping mess. Try some herbal alternatives. You can't get hooked on them and there are no side effects. Start with St. Johns Wort, three times a day. It takes about 8 weeks to start noticing the good effects but it works. If you're having trouble sleeping, I have an awesome sleep tea recipe (send me a message if you want it) that will help plus Valerian root, Lobelia or Red Clover also work wonders. Go the herbal route every time, you can't go wrong.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Be evaluated by a professional. There is NO other way. If you are truly depressed, meds can be wonderful. I have been there and tried it without meds and with meds, the meds worked the best. Not everything works for anyone person. It takes time to find a med that your body will respond to.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And if you are going the natural way, make sure none of the natural remedies affect any other meds that you are taking. Natural things can and do mess with medications.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010