any tips on how to get my 5 year old to wear his eye patch?

My five year old son has finally started wearing his glasses 100% of the time now. Two years and nine pair of glasses later. But I still have no luck in getting him to wear his eye patch. He is diagnosed with adhd autism and behavioral problems and take medication daily for that. Two years ago I noticed him looking at everything with his right eye. Went to a pediatric eye doc. And they told me he was born with poor vision in his left eye and had trained himself not to use it and that if he did not start using it he would loose the vision in that eye all together but seriously I would stand a better chance of pulling his eye out than getting him to wear his patch. I read on the internet about a developmental optomitrist who can do theropy on the eyes. So any suggestions? Any one used a developmental optomitrist?

4psinapod

Asked by 4psinapod at 8:53 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know if this would help, but I had a friend when we were in elementary school and her mom let her decorate her eye patch so it looked really cool.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 8:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Tell him he looks like a really cool pirate when he wears it?
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• While I have no experience with a developmental optomistrist, I do have experience with an autistic child refusing to wear an eye patch. My pediatric opthmalagist had suggested to me that she could use an eye drop that would force my son to use his 'bad' eye as it would cloud his vision in his 'good' eye. She suggested this when my son refused to wear his eye patch. We wound up not having to go this route as the idea of this eye drop scare my son that he then wore the patch, so I can't say how that went, but would this be possible for you?
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my nephew was supposed to wear one when he was 4 but he refuses and had to use the drops that dilate his "good eye" so he was forced to use the "bad eye" GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Well we have all worn an eye patch and played pirate. I have gone thru a whole box of patches putting one on right after the other because he just rips them off the second I put them on. We did use the drops which was wonderful for me one drop a week but the vision in his left eye is so bad that even with the drops in his good eye the vision is still better than his left and so he still uses the right. So they said a patch is the only option. But I must also add that they do not have the personalities to work with children in the first place and usually just the thought of going to see them sets him off. But they are far from being able to work with a child with behavioral promblems.
    4psinapod

Comment by 4psinapod (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My daughter patches for 3 hours a day. Her doctor told her she has until she is 12 to get it better. Your eyes only get worse after 12, so stay on him. We do it at the same time everyday. They have really cool designed ones, but they are expensive. I let my daughter draw on them. Do you have the ones that stick on like a band aid? Less than $5 at Walmart.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes we bought the expensive boy ones that stick I even got the walmart ones he is supposed to be patching for six hours but refuses. Most people say id make him but seriously the irate fits are not good for any of us.
    4psinapod

Comment by 4psinapod (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Maybe try wearing the patch yourself for a portion of the day (while your son is home) so that you can identify with him how unpleasant it is. Maybe once he knows you understand where he's coming from, he'll try harder to wear it b/c it will help him in the long run.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• They make disposable adhesive ones in different patterns and colors. Maybe if he picks out his own patch he'll be more likely to wear it.

http://eye-doodle.com/

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 1:48 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I know when my husband was a child, they frosted the one lens of his glasses. I know it's not the most ideal, as there is still some peripheral vision, but maybe this could be something they would consider.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 8, 2010