Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


Okay. I'm married, but separated. I met another man, and am now pregnant with his child. He and I are not together. I concieved in MI but am a FL resident. The baby will also be born in FL. I need to know if he will have any rights to the baby. I do not plan on putting his name on the birth cert or giving the baby his last name. I need to know my options.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

Answers (6)
  • Your legal husband will have parental rights to the child. Your husband's right will have to be terminated and if the child's father wants anything he will have to go to court.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • What the previous poster said. Your legal husband is legally responsible for the child.

    Answer by bcauseimthemom at 9:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • My husband's x wife got pregnant while they were separated and my husband was automatically put on the BC when the child was born.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 9:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • Sorry hubby has rights to the kids. He might have to pay child support though.

    Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • I went through this so I thought I would let you know how it went for me. My (then) current husbands' name was put down as the father - even though her stated it was NOT his child. Then, child support tested my (then) current husband and the guy who fathered the child. When it came out to be the other guy's child, the birth certificate was changed to reflect it. Then, when my new (and NOW current) husband wanted to adopt her, the father's name was removed from the birth certificate and my DH was added. It is very rare nowadays to have a child with "unknown" as the father. They are very picky about this now. It all falls under the "every child deserves to have a father" thought.

    Answer by Babylove76 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

  • My friend just when through this, she was sperated and had a one night stand with some guy to turned out to be a real butt. Your husband will be put down as the father but ya'll can do a paternety test and when it comes out that he is not, they will take his name off. They will want a name to put down for "father" on the birth cert but they can't "make you" give them a name. The only way you will ever be forced to give the father's name is if you go on public assistance. Well again they can't force you to give the name even then but you can't get the assistance.

    Answer by JLS2388 at 9:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.