Handfasting Experiences

Has anyone been to or had a Handfasting ceremony?

If you have could you please tell me your experience. My husband and I will be renewing our vows on the 21st via a Handfasting!
Ive read up on them and all that but Id love to hear some personal accounts.

*PLEASE BE RESPECTFUL*

tia!

Amaranth361

Asked by Amaranth361 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Two of our closest friends were handfasted last Summer in a garden, under a ribbon and bell decorated bower, at the Ohio Great Lakes Medieval Faire. He wore a full white pirate shirt and black velvet pants. She wore a white satin long gown with a garland of fresh flowers in her wound and braided hair. A minister of the Universalist Church officiated. They said their own original informal vows to each other. They exchanged a silver ring for her ( Silver is the goddesses metal, a metal like the shining moon. ). And, a gold ring for him ( Gold being the metal of the god, a metal of the sun. ). The rings hung in a hawthorne tree for 3 days and nights before the ceremony. Afterwards, they were followed by a strolling mandolin player and a parade of their friends throwing rose petals. It was lovely.
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 10:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• *I* did our Handfasting...alone in our room.

I took the belt from one of my robes and bound our hands together 4 times saying:

By the Earth I pledge my Body to you,

By the Air I pledge my Mind.

By the Fire I pledge my Spirit to you,

By the Water I pledge my Heart

...and that was that.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have never heard of this. Whose tradition is this in? DH and I had our marriage blessed in the Catholic Church (we were married in a Lutheran church, then I reverted and he converted), so that was a sort of renewal of vows. I hope it's a special day for you!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If you want to go to my Homepage I did a post about Handfsting in My Journal...
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 9:16 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Indigo ... good journal post.

OP ... I think Sabrina has some really good information about handfasting. I sent her a message about it before when I was trying to plan one for me and my hubby. Definitely ask her.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We had one!

We had a Pagan yet generally non-denominational wedding ceremony and we had a hand fasting within, just after the vows. I sewed a chord of fabric for us to use and there was a musical interlude (Enya - Ethair Ar Nahm...which is basically the Lord's Prayer in Gaelic) while it was performed.
    It was really quite beautiful and I LOVED having in our ceremony because it is such an old tradition.
    PM me if you have any questions!
    Good luck!
    boomamma

Answer by boomamma at 10:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Never heard of it.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:06 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• read the journal. All I can say is interesting..
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We haven't had a handfasting, yet, but when we renew our vows, that's what we'll be having. Ditto on asking Sabrina about it, she's like an encyclopdia (only more lively lol) on stuff like this. Over the summer I bought this book to help me plan for our's, but I haven't looked at it much. I have no idea why I bought it since we were separated at the time, but I'm so glad I did. I love it. Amazon has a bunch of other books on handfasting, too. I think The Farrar's Witches' Bible has a big section on handfastings and the like, also.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• MamaK88 ... I love that!! May I use that for ours??? That is so pretty!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 11:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010