Have you went back to work so you could get a break from your kids?

I have been a SAHM for a little over 2 years. While my hubby was stationed at our last base I worked full time for 3 months after our first was born. He was in daycare but then I got pregnant again and only worked around my husbands schedule, so part time. After our second son I, once we were temporarily moved home, I worked minimal part time, again when my husband was home to watch them. I thought being a SAHM was ideal for them. My oldest is now 28 months and drives me up the wall. He is more active than the "average" toddler, already been told he has ADD tendencies (gets it from me), but his testing my patience is wearing. Dad is back at a job 1000+ miles away and we aren't moving to be with him for another 6 weeks. Typically my parents would watch my oldest or both my kids for the day so I could get a break. My gramma is however, dying and has alzheimers on top of her being in the last stages of life. So my parents have been living at my grandparents caring for them. All my friends live hours away. Any local friends and fam I have also have little ones, so I feel guilty asking for a break.
But lately I have felt when we move I am going to go back to work, part time would be ideal. And not worry about their adjusting to daycare, because they will adjust. Did anyone find themselves a better parent after returning to work?

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• Anon, who saids working moms are not raising their kids? Huh? For someone to be so rude, why post anon? I take my job very seriously as well. I am a great mom and I have great career. My dh told me that he has more respect for women who work. Especially ones that work when it is needed. I think you're just jealous anyways.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes! I was going crazy...everything my daughter did that was naughty just got to me. Ever since I went back to work...we're good. lol.

..She still drives me crazy-but at least I get a break now.
    Chell.o_0

Answer by Chell.o_0 at 9:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• There is Nothing wrong with admitting that your kids drive you up the wall sometimes! I think I say that daily:) Motherhood IS, no matter what anyone says(even daddy's) truly the hardest job there is, mainly because there are no breaks! Well, I suppose when they go off to college, but even then, it continues. You are human, for one, you have an "active" toddler for two, you don't have friends nearby, and your hubby is miles away, give yourself a break girl! Things will get better when you are close to your honey I'm sure. In the meantime, try to keep reaching out to other moms on here, that's what I"m doing, and exercise, exercise, exercise! It truly is nature's xanex:) Hope this helped.
    SuprMom74

Answer by SuprMom74 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I'm trying to get a job right now to get a little break on top of just help pay everything off quicker. I don't have to work if I don't want to but I really want to.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I was completely unemployed for most of the past year. And a single mom of 2 to boot! So yes when a friend of mine called and asked if I would help her out and bartend part-time at the bar that she owns, I jumped at the chance. It is only 4 hours a day and totally screwed with my unemployment benefits and foodstamps, and most of my paycheck goes right back into daycare, but it was totally worth it to get out of the house. My daughter would just drive me nuts and I would want to scream! Now I am a little more mellow with her and we have a lot more fun! So yeah, it happens and never feel guilty that you need a break from your kids. We love them but we do need adults sometimes!
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Oh yes! I work to not go crazy at home!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I was a SAHM when my daughter was very young and I liked it okay until teh state intervened and took her away forcing me back to work. I now no longer work after having baby number two but I am a student and my husband and most people who know me well know that I am a better person for it. I am bipolar for one and for another my children are extremely stressful to me sometimes. I need a chance to be away and interact with other adults even if it's just in school. Because my son is young and I'm only part time right now he only goes when he absolutely has to, when I'm in class and it's an hourly rate for him. My daughter goes other times to be there for preschool and to allow her time to play with other kids and me time to work on schoolwork and be with the baby one on one, for her it's a flat rate which is what our provider normally does. But she's also totally awesome and in our ward at church.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 3:14 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I have been a SAHM for over 14 yrs, and all 3 are on school now, and I get an 8 hour break every day.... I'm not sure I understand the logic, go to work part time so you can pay someone to care for your child only to put all of the money back into daycare from your job???? I guess I'm confused, or old fashioned. I thought being a parent meant making sacrifices so our children would be better people. I didn't want some snot nosed girl raising my children, part time or otherwise just so I could "have a break".... Maybe you should have thought about this before having children... I think being a parent is a fulltime job, and one that I take very serious. If your Husband ia away working a lot don't your children at least deserve one fulltime parent? JMO, so don't freak out about it....
    Anonymous