What about the rest of the year?

Does anyone find it kind of sad that there are opportunities to donate constantly around the holidays, but the rest of the year, you hardly ever see collections? I know there are places to go to donate year-round, but I mean...don't the hungry need to eat in July? What happens after the holidays when a lot of people stop giving to those in need? :(

I'm not sure where to put this, so I guess I'll stick it in R&B, since it is concerning a belief, good will and charity. If someone thinks of a better category, feel free to recategorize it. :)

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 9:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have always wondered the same thing...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I donate all year long but this time of year seems to be focused more on toys for children at Christmas.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• And I can understand that lil angel, about the toys. And that's awesome that you donate all year long! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• ive never thought about it but you're right. i guess they are just capitalizing on ppl being more willing to give during the holidays and towards the end of the year (especially if they do it for tax purposes). i would hope those in charge of the charities money would be smart enough to budget it for the full year.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree. My dh and I talked about this today. Also, we are SLAMMED this season with everyone asking for help. If it could be spread out a little and not all w/in the two week pay period that the holidays fall on, life would be easier. I'd pitch in more.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know! It is sad. This is something that is really becoming important to me. I am really feeling the need to give back to my community. My son's school is always having fundraisers and donating things. Right now they are having a money race. The class who gets the most money wins a party. The money goes to our local homeless shelter.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 9:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I was just talking to my husband about this yesterday! We donate several times a year, mostly to a battered women's shelter here. That and food for the hungry all year is more important than toys once a year, I think.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Hubby and I have discussed this before. It seems like the local media bends over backwards around the holidays to help the less fortunate with coats and food, but you rarely hear anything the rest of the year. There are occasional food drives, but not as often as there needs to be. People need help all year round, not just during the holidays.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• From what I understand this is the big push time and since its canned and boxed goods it used all year long. This is the time the pantries stock up so they have enough to distribute all year long. We do food drives about every 4 months at school, but by far we collect the most at this time of year. We also do clothing donations by season- about 3x year. Our school makes a year around commitment to charity but find that we collect the most during the holiday season.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:15 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my guess is that people wouldn't donate so much if they pushed for it all the time...and this season the giving thing is big -so like soyousay said:
    "since its canned and boxed goods it used all year long. This is the time the pantries stock up so they have enough to distribute all year long."
    hopefully they get enough donations to do that
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2010