How can I get my almost 2 year old to eat vegetables and meat?

My daughter is 21 months. She is a great eater for the most part, they always tell me she is one of the few at daycare that cleans her plate! But, she's not big on vegetables or meat. Some of that may be my fault as I didn't adhere to the "introduce it to them atleast 10 times" rule. When she didn't seem to like somthing, I didn't push it. Like with meat, she never seemed to be into it. I would get her the microwavalbe Graduate dinners(no judging) and if it was a pasta and chicken dish, she would eat it and spit the chicken out. Same thing with beef, unless it's like a beef ravioli(she lovves those) She will eat some lunch meat occasionally. And with vegetables, it's the same thing, except she will eat any of them in baby food form, which I do give her because I figure, atleast she is getting them in some form(my husband will disagree with that one as he doesn't want his daughter eating babyfood at 4 years old:) Dinner is usually a challenge as most of the time, I don't even bother to prepare her what the rest of us are eating, or if I do, she usually doesn't eat it, so I end up making her a "sure thing" like mac n cheese, or oatmeal I'm not sure if I should try to re re-introduce some things to her and see how it goes, or what. HELP!!

SuprMom74

Asked by SuprMom74 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I make ONE meal for my family. My kids(even my 2 year old) know they have to try everything and if they don't eat, they don't get anything else until the next meal/snack. They aren't going to starve themselves. I would serve her what you're eating and not play short order cook for her! Eventually she will learn that she eats what is on the table, or she doesn't eat.

Answer by missanc at 9:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Keep introducing and re-introducing. Eventually she will get a taste for them. My ds wouldn't eat any meat but chicken until he was almost 4. You could always try "hiding" meat and veggies in other foods that she likes.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 9:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Sweet potatoes is a winner. I bake sweet potatoes in the oven. Can always add butter and brown sugar to it. Found sweet potato fries in the frozen aisle at the groc. store or you can make them from scratch. I also steam broccoli and add american cheese to it. Can always mash it up if you want to. Baked beans out of a can cooked on the stove top. We love the one with honey in it. Good Luck!
    MommabearGrr

Answer by MommabearGrr at 9:45 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• THE FOOD RULES
    1)Meals at regularly scheduled times; only planned snacks should be given.
    2)Nothing between meals offered, including bottles, milk, or juices. The child may drink water if thirsty.
    3)Solids offered first, fluids last.
    4)Meals will last no longer than 30 minutes.
    5)Child will be encouraged to self-feed as much as possible (finger feed, hold spoon, etc).
    6)A sheet under the high chair will “catch the mess”. Wipe the child’s mouth and clean up only after the meal is over.
    7)The child should learn to eat without approval or disapproval. Do not force food or comment on the child’s intake. Mealtime should be in a neutral atmosphere.
    8)Food should not be given as a present or reward.
    9)No game playing at mealtime. Do not use games to feed the child.
    10)Food should be moved after 10-15 minutes if the child seems to play with the food w/o eating.
    11)Meal should be terminated if the child throws food in a
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• The above were given to me by the feeding clinic at the local children's hospital when my son went. They said following the rules would help with behavioral feeding issues. I follow most of them all the time and my son seems to eat pretty well (usually) for me. The other moms had really good advice, too. Good luck!
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 11:13 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Thanks JZ10FPM, I am going to try to add a little more structure to meal time and maybe it will help with my picky eater (22months).
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I feed my two year old baby food still so she gets the veggies, right before dinner I give her two jars of veggies. Then I make dinner which she almost never eats the veggies I make but will eat any meat I put in front of her. Or sometimes I smash everything up in a bowl so she can't pick it out. I'm not a short order cook but shes two and I want a healthy kid so ill go out of my way at dinner to make sure she eats good.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• stop giving in to her! i think that's a huge reason why she won't eat what you've cooked. my sister did the same thing! my now 23 yr old nephew has a terrible palet... chicken, ham, mashed pot and bread... he's so freakin picky! what i've heard and i would do if this happened to me is start "disguising" it into food she likes.... she loves mac and cheese, blend up some cauliflower... many cooks, like Rachel Ray give suggestions. and don't give her something she likes. if she's hungry she'll eventually eat it, but i don't mean just giving her the food... mix it up. good luck! and as much as i am NOT a fan of "Kate" on Kate plus eight.... she didn't give her kids choices... and they ALL eat what she prepares.
    HappyMomma86

Answer by HappyMomma86 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Great advice from all the mommies
    SuprMom74

Comment by SuprMom74 (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010