I have won the battle of getting DD(3) to stay in her room at night now...

How do I get her to go to sleep without the light on? She gets up and turns it on. I turn it off. She turns it on. She falls asleep. I turn it off. Next morning it is back on. She has a night light already... Is it bad to sleep with the lights on? I have seen conflicting articles on the matter.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I say if she sleeps with it on it is fine, but I have not read anything about it. I am just a fan of my children sleeping through the night. Could a lamp do the trick, then go down to a night light, then..............
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Maybe just leave it on till she falls asleep..or leave a hall light on and her door cracked till you go to bed.
    Anonymous

• Maybe try getting her a small flashlight that she can turn on and off as she needs. My son is three and he never had a problem with having to have the light on but I gave him one of those keychain flashlights that you push the button at the end and the little light at the end lights up and he sleeps with it under his pillow. I told him he could use it if he needs to get up to go potty. He also has a nightlight and there is one in the bathroom also. Sometimes when he comes in my room in the morning to wake me up he has it in his hand...like he used it to see to get to my room.
    It might be worth a try...then she wouldn't have to get out of bed she would just have it with her.
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 10:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• my 3yr old son has a lamp in his room that he keeps on all night. i think that every kid goes thru this, having a light on when they go to sleep.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I like the flashlight idea. My kids have flashlights in their rooms although they rarely use them, it is more a security thing. Make sure the hallways & bathrooms have nightlights as well.
    SaraBeth1204

Answer by SaraBeth1204 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• As long as she's sleeping through the night, I dont' see any harm in a light on at night. You migth trying putting in a very low wattage bulb to reduce the light? If you're concerned, ask your pediatrician.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I plan on asking the ped. We see her soon for our check up.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:30 PM on Dec. 8, 2010