why is rice cereal in the bottle a choking hazzard? how is it different from eating the rice cereal from a spoon? did you put rice cereal in your baby's bottle?

mamagee1218

Asked by mamagee1218 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know why, and yes I did put it in the bottle. It did not help DD sleep longer, so I stopped.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i never heard it was a choking hazard, no i didn't put it in my kids' bottle, it's supposed to help them learn how to use a spoon, and they don't need cereal all the time. they only need it maybe once or twice a day, (actually they don't even really need it at all, my dd didn't have it) and if you put it in their bottle they can grow up to be obese, studies show anyway. no i don't have a link.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I didn't give my child rice cereal or ANY cereal in the bottle.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 9:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I think it is because it thickens it and makes it harder to spit up and out, it sits in the mouth rather than flowing out the sides of the mouth during sleep, giving more opportunity for aspiration/choking.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:59 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I also think they are talking about people who add cereal to newborn-4 month old's bottles.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why it's a choking hazard (and other things) :
    Some infants do not fully have their swallowing reflex fully developed at birth. Sucking cereal from a bottle can cause a choking hazard. Babies have actually died this way. Choking on cereal from a bottle certainly isn't a common cause of death, but why do it when it is linked to something like choking?

While no one agrees completely on what it is that actually causes allergies, we do have enough research to see certain connections. One, very well documented connection to serious allergies is when a baby has been exposed to the allergen too early. Putting cereal in your baby's bottle, even rice cereal, can cause allergies.

There is no scientific evidence to support the notion that baby's sleep better with cereal in their bottles. The truth is, babies are designed to wake frequently at night. Dealing with sleep deprivation is part of the parenting package.

Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Continued :

There is a connection between babies who have solids too early and digestive problems. The fact of the matter is that baby tummies are designed to take in breast milk. When you can't breastfeed, there's formula which mimics breast milk. Baby tummies are not designed to take in solids, and it's not surprising that they malfunction when forced to do what they're not designed to do.

One key factor in obesity is infant feeding. Infants are born with a self regulatory ability to take in only what they need. By feeding on demand and following a baby's cues, you are essentially helping them form habits of eating when hungry and eating until they feel full. This sets them up for a lifetime of healthy eating habits. But when you add cereal to a bottle, it bypasses their system and essentially they take in more calories than they need.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 10:01 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What Razelda said!!! She hit the nail on the head, and if you're thinking about putting it in a bottle, then you need to be hit on the head!! lol
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:04 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I NEVER gave my son cereal in a bottle! His doctor did not recommend that. He was given cereal on a spoon at 2 weeks old, with doctors consent and he did fine. I would never recommend cereal in a bottle.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• That's bullshit!! I put rice cereal both my kids bottles at 3 weeks old and not only did it help them sleep through the night, it made them less ravenous and grouchy. Yeah...that's just like you should ONLY give your kids formula for up to a year. Geez then I guess all of us that got cows milk from birth are just doomed.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010