Pagan Sisters ... A Question about Colors

I am wondering about something. I have several list of colors and their meanings. Each list seems to be different. I have one that has the colors for candle magick and the meanings are different than the one I found when I was looking for colors of ribbons.

I haven't compared the list posted under one of the Tarot questions to my other ones yet, but just glancing through, it also seems to have differences. 

Have you found this as well? What do you do? Do you combine them or pick one and go by it? I'm curious about how others handle the colors and their meanings. 

SpiritedWitch

Asked by SpiritedWitch at 9:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't really go by what the books say about them. Those lists were created by other people and the way that they viewed color correspondences. I've just started ignoring them and going by what my feelings about the color are. For example, purple is supposed to be good for psychic ability, but I think of silver, white AND purple (more of a lilac) as colors for psychic abilities, as well as a couple of others (like certain shades of blue). I would use the lists as a starting point and mostly just go by how YOU feel about the color and what you think it represents. It's too much of a pain for me to try to go by lists that were pre-made when they don't really match up with how I feel.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:14 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I always correspond a color to an element and go with the elemental properties.. and for ones that are in between I go with a mix.. and some colors to me just are what they are.. like green=prosperity, purple= spirit... honestly the meanings are what is important to you and how you see it on a conscious and subconscious level. Ultimately how you feel them is how they will work because in the end spell work in general is a way to focus your own energy on a deep level,
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yeah, I ended up with my own list as well, not just for colours but for numbers and the elements too. Just as an example I use yellow for healing and red is double sided as strength and anger but it makes sense to me and that is what matters most.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Whatever works best for YOU! :-)
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I usually go by elemental properties, and how I feel inside.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:34 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Basically you guys do what I do. When I fist started, it was really confusing reading all the lists with different meanings, but I compiled my own from all the ones I had. The ones that felt right. 

For instance I use red (strength) and green (healing) A LOT for members of my family. I write blessings* on green index cards for family that are ill or going into the hospital and tie a green and red braided ribbon on the card.

I use black to ward against negativity. My son was having horrible nightmares so I tied a black ribbon to his bed and he slept much better after that. 

*I call my spells "blessings" to make it easier for my Christian family to accept. 

SpiritedWitch

Comment by SpiritedWitch (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Dec. 7, 2010