How do I alternate between Tylenol and Motrin?

I don't understand how to alternate between Motrin and Tylenol. My doctor says every 3 to 6 hours, others say every 3hrs and then I have heard every 4hrs. I just give Motrin 6 to 8 hours apart or I just give Tylenol every 4 hours. My little girl has two molars and one eye tooth that has broken through and she has had a fever for the last two days. My pediatrician says if her fever hasn't changed or broke by this Friday...she will need to come back. She has gone from 99.1 to 101.8 and goes the same when her next dose is due. Has anybody gone through this as my pediatrician says it may be a virus and not her teeth. I am a first time mom and I am scared to death.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Tylenol, 2 hrs. later Motrin, 2 hrs. later Tylenol, etc... etc..
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I personally would not alternate for a fever that low. When you alternate you give tylenol then in 3-4 hours motrin then in 3-4 hours tylenol... so you are giving each med every 6-8 hours until the fever breaks or drops.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with Butmommie, I would not alternate for a fever that low. Alternating is for high fevers. I would just go with the Motrin every 6 hours. Measure out the dose and rub some of it directly on the gums to help numb the gums then give the remainder of the dose. Do NOT measure out any extra.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I agree with But_Mommie. I wouldn't alternate medicines with a fever that low. I would stick with one medicine. Maybe give her a lukewarm bath to try to bring the fever down. Since she is teething, give her some numbing gel like Orajel or Hyland's. Hope she starts to feel better soon.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• actually motrin is every 6 hours and tylenol is every 4. i always start it with both at the same time, after 4 hours...tylenol..2 hours later,,motrin...2 hours later tylenol...4 hours later both together again. its a pain but they have different timeing on them so its not really alternating. but tylenol and motrin are perfectly safe to take together.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i always thought u give tylenol then when four hours are up give the motrin then when the six hours are up give tyleno again and continue id be worried with the other way to give to much at once
    millerchic

Answer by millerchic at 10:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Motrin is 6-8 hours tylenol is 4-6 so alternating one every 3 is what you would do to be in the time frame of both drugs.
    Anonymous

• They are different medicines and work in different ways, that is why they say to alternate- it is for fever and for pain as well. We did every 3 hours- so if you have tylenol at noon, at 3 pm you have motrin and then at 6 tylenol, etc... if you are feeling unsure- call your ped or maybe even poison control and ask for a specific schedule for your childs age/weight.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:18 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I only alternate if it is a high fever and it is coming back before it's time to give the other med again. If I give ibuprofen and the fever starts to climb again before it's safe to give another ibuprofen, then I give tylenol.

A low-grade fever is something you need to keep an eye on if you aren't sure why they are having it because it can be a warning sign, but a low-grade fever is not in and of itself dangerous to a child and if you know it is from the teething then it is not a big deal.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:23 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• she has been up all night crying
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:02 AM on Dec. 9, 2010