Is Bread bad for dogs teeth?

A waman gave my daughter a dog and said she had to get its teeth pulled because the owner before her gave it bread? Can that really happen?

SheriesMom

Asked by SheriesMom at 10:19 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I dont see why that would happen -- dogs teeth are meant to rip and tear.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• What kind of dog is it? I know it shouldn't matter, but I'm curious.. I don't think bread will hurt a dog. I'm not an expert, but I have been a dog owner for many years.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:23 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I googled it and did not find anything that said that bread was bad for dogs teeth.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I've had dogs for 25 years and never heard that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I know that people that raise pits have their teeth pulled because they are the dogs that they train the other pits to fight. So if they don't have teeth it keeps them from biting the fighting dogs( the better dogs in their opinion). I know it sounds horrible but it happens, and the people that do it should have their teeth pulled out...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• MrsLeftlane... so terribly sad :-(

TO OP: Bread is bad to everyones teeth (lots of sugar & stuff).. but was the dog on a bread only diet or something? because that just seems very strange.. im guessing there is more behind it than that..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• No, that person is just making crap up. Or, whoever told her that is lying. The previous owner neglected her pet's dental health, plain and simple.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• if that was case our dog maryjane and jack should have no teeth but they do they love their bread with peanut butter or cheese
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Bread is bad for dogs period. It has lots of sugar and wheat! Many dogs today are itchy because of allergies. Most of these allergies come from the wheat and corn ingredients in their food.
    miatagirl

Answer by miatagirl at 1:39 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Brread is bad for dogs but it would not affect the teeth. She may just need a dental.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 10:58 AM on Dec. 9, 2010