Planning for baby #2....We can not decide if we want a 2 or 2.5yr gap? Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• lol. Start trying when you feel ready. Even if you had no problems getting pregnant the first time, you can't expect to just get pregnant EXACTLY when you want to. You may start out trying for a 2.5yr age gap, and wind up with a 5 year gap instead. Life isn't always expected, and you can't always plan it the way you want. So if you're ready, try. If you're not, wait until you are.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 10:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I did the 2 year gap and wished I would have made it 3 year gap. It's not easy potty training all at once. The one potty training refusies because the other one is stil too small to start and wants to be like her. $$$$diapers, pull ups etc. They compete a lot. And want similar types of attention at the same time. I love my kids, but I wonder if it wouldn't have been a little easier to potty train one, then do it again.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Nature will decide that for you.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would make sure your first child is potty trained before trying. I think you and your dh will know.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They say it's better for your next child if you wait about 1.5 to 2 years from the day your last child was born to conceiving again. Gives your body time to recover better and support the growth of your next baby optimally. So I would say probably more like a 2.5 year gap between your kids.
    katinthehat8914

Answer by katinthehat8914 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• ours are 18 months apart. it was tough at first but it's a dream now. they are wonderful and play all the time. if you're planning close together, 2 or 2.5 won't make a difference. just get it done, lady!
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:05 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't wait for potty training because if your kids are anything like mine they wait until 3 yrs on the dot to train. We have 17 and 19 months in between our litlte ones and i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• We are TTC #2 as well. Before Baby #1 I always said I wanted a 3+yr gap. I never thought id be ready already! I wish baby #2 was due now instead of only TTC now. I dont think the 6m will make a difference. I would start trying now- nature will decide wether they are 2 or 5 yrs apart! :)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Mine are 20 months apart, and I love that gap. They play great together. As for the potty training concerns, every child is different. I had originally wanted to really get started at about 20 months, but then we had a baby then. I just waited for the craziness of the first few months to settle down, then my older one did fine and was completely trained by about 2.5. She was super interested and ready even before age two though. It really helped to have her "help" with the baby, because then it showed her that she was bigger and able to do big-girl things.

I am just starting the potty training with my second, and it just seems like she is not even close to ready, and she just turned two in September. Every child is different.

If you just through the dates out the window, you will end up with just the right gap for your family. :)
    squish

Answer by squish at 12:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• we are going to be starting ttc when my son is 2 years but not gonna force it. so i would say start just letting it happen to get preggo at the 2 yrs mark and if it happens then good but if you have to wait a little then know this is how its suppose to be. good luck!
    mamajennie31010

Answer by mamajennie31010 at 1:42 AM on Dec. 8, 2010