Is it okay for a baby to sleep on his stomach if I'm awake and watching?

I'm trying to correct a flat spot so i'm giving him more belly time. If I'm say, on Cafemom and he is sleeping right in front of me on his stomach, it's okay right?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• many will tell you no. Personally my son loved to sleep on his stomach and was turning over at day two. So after months of fighting it, getting up in the middle of the night terrorfied and turning him over(ie not much sleep for me). I let him sleep on his stomach.

I think that you are right there and I would personally do it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• They say in the hospital that as long as the baby is supervised and you dont leave or fall asleep its ok....They will do it in the hospital occasionally. but I would just check with the doc just incase.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes. Both my kids slept on their stomachs from the time they were born till now. I tried flipping them over many times but they would either wake up and not be happy or they'll flip back over in a matter of minutes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Girl, both of my babies slept on their stomach and they are now 27 and 22. So, I'd have to go with yes.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My daughter never slept any other way. Even if i blocked her to keep her from rolling over she still turned in the block.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I would think that if you are watching, then yes, you will see that he is breathing properly and he will be okay. But I wouldn't leave him that way for any length of time. Better safe than sorry.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 10:38 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Honestly, My baby never slept on her back. She was always on her tummy, even when I was asleep. I kept a fan circulating the air in the room and she was in a bassinet next to me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• the baby will be fine :)
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Baby will be fine, just stay nearby, since he's not used to be being on his tummy while he sleeps. DS refused to sleep on his back. But babies that are used to being on their backs, and then are placed on their tummies, are at the highest risk for SIDS. So be sure to stay nearby.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010