How do you feel about juniors or thirds or fourths?

I am pregnant with my first child who is a boy. The father wants me to name him after him but he is already a junior which means my son will be a third. I want my child to be an individual. My question is, if you have a son, did the father want him to have his name and what did you do?

Queentdi

Asked by Queentdi at 11:25 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Relationships

• I will not have a JR in my family because of what I saw my bro and father go through. My bro has horrible credit and it is always ending up on my father's because the morons of America fail to check the SSN half the time. Just too messy IMO. I can't tell you how many hours my father spent fighting with people to get things off his credit that belonged to my bro.
    nathans_mom407

Answer by nathans_mom407 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I compromised with my ex. First name was my dad's and his middle name was his fathers. Which worked for us......
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:45 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• I have mixed feelings. I understand the desire to continue a family tradition. But I also understand wanting to be an individual, to have your own unique name, to not be a "continuation".
    If we had a boy, we would have used the same first initial but a different name.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:49 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• So what alternative suggestions do you all have for Calvin? Oh yeah the father does not have a middle name.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 12:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• When we found out I was pg I was the one who had to come up with the names; I just had to run them by hubby first. The girl's name was easy; Alyssa Marie. The boy's name was harder because I kept getting shot down. Finally, I landed on Logan Daniel. Daniel is my hubby's name and my father's middle name. After our son was born, I was reminded that Daniel is also my great-grandfather's name. So, my son wound up with an individual first name and a middle name with a lot of family history.
    ncbirdie

Answer by ncbirdie at 12:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• not a fan. I think i'd use calvin as the mid name. I read a study once that kids that are named after there parents are more likly to be abused...isnt that odd. Id quote the sorce but its been nearly 7 years.i was prego and was thinking of naming our kid after daddy...ended up being a girl!
    electricblue

Answer by electricblue at 12:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• I just had a son and didn't name him after his father. My husband has a very old fashion name and my son would have been the third.My husband decided to name him Blake Alexander a totally different name and we love it! My husband said his mother comments were"I can't believe you waited 20 years to have a son and she won't let you name him after you"
    haveahappyday

Answer by haveahappyday at 12:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My DH is a JR and it was a misery growing up "big whoever" and "little whoever" When our first son was born he was dead set against naming after Dad. My son had a son and named him Jr. It is a total mess. I would strongly advise you to go a different direction
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• My son is a JR an I don't call him little anything, I just call him Jarrett. It was actually my idea to name my son after my husband, I guess I was just too lazy to come up with anything. I love the fact that my son is a Jr, its so cute to me.
    kira25

Answer by kira25 at 4:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Yes, i think i will. But we didn't do that.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 4:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2008