abnormal pap smear. Positive for cancer.

Back in October I had an abnormal pap smear for the very first time. Earlier this month I went for another exam and they did a biopsy. Turns out I have stage 2 cancerous cells... yippie me... They are going to schedule a surgery to remove all affected tissue.
Thing is my husband is deployed and he can't help me and no one on my family is really willing to help watch my kids while I recovery from the surgery. They are acting like it's not a big deal. Same with my husband.
I'm freaked out about it and no one seems to care. They act like it's like a simple common cold.....
Has anyone been positive for the cervical cancer? How did you handle it? Who was your support?
I feel like I'm alone. No one really will talk to me about this and no one I know has gone through this.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Health

• I'm so sorry. How horrible that people who are close to you can't even sympathize. I haven't had trouble with that luckily. My SIL had cervical cancer as well and had to do lots of checkups after having the biopsy, but my brother was always there to support her. Now she's been cancer free for a year and a half at least and is about to have a baby any day now. I hope you can find a friend or someone in your area who can relate and help you out.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 10:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I have just recovered from Cervical cancer. I had to have a hysterectomy and then chemo and radiation because there were cells in my lymph nodes.

I have a great support system! My family and friends were there for me and my kids are older, 11, 16 and 17.

Are you having a hysterectomy? Are they checking your lymph nodes for the possibility of it spreading? PM me if you want to talk about it.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Yes. I had stage 3 cervical cancer. They went in and did a LEEP as well as removal of tissue at the 3, 6 and 9 stations on my cervix. After what seemed like a thousand tests, it was determined there were no cells in my lymph nodes, etc. It took almost 3 years of quarterly paps before I got the 3 "normal" paps I needed to go to a bi-annual pap schedule (which I'm still on). I didn't have kids at the time and I stayed at my mom's. The first couple of days I spent recovering from the anesthesia...you WILL need some sort of help. I had to lay on my back, getting up only to eat/use the bathroom, for a week. I had to wear "special" underwear the hospital gave me and I couldn't bathe/shower for a week (sponge bath only). Of course this was back in 1997, so they may have changed some of the recovery guidelines.

mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 10:55 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• They checked everything and only certain tissue is affected so they are just cutting it out. No hysterectomy, as lease not yet.
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Are you having a LEEP? If that's what you are having, then it's not bad. I had one of those before they found the cancer. They thought it was just pre-cancerous. You might want to find someone to watch the kids for the day you get the procedure done (if it's a LEEP) because you will be crampy and want to sleep.

Good Luck.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• If it's a LEEP they didn't call it that/ They just said they are cutting out the affected tissue
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 11:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• YOur more then welcome to bring the kids over to play.. If you need a ride to the hospital let me know. That would be very hard since cody is so far away.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 12:52 AM on Dec. 8, 2010