dilation

i am 38 soon to be 39 weeks and i am 1cm dilated. i read that nipple stimulation and massaging can help speed up dilation. for example taking a warm bath with the water covering your nipples or a warm rag over your nipples. does anyone know if this is true or know something else besides sex and walking that could help?

kewatson09

Asked by kewatson09 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Sex and walking are highly effective, and nipple stimulation is good, if you can keep it going. It causes contractions, not dilation. You can also try raspberry leaf tea.
    Don't put too much stock in those cervical checks. They truly don't mean anything.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:46 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• this was my first time having it checked and doctor said the cervix was soft and i was 1cm so i was happy. my due date is just over a week away but im so ready for her to come. im not sure what to do for the nipple stimulation. i know mine hurt so bad that i cant handle the twisting and pinching like a lot of things say.
    kewatson09

Comment by kewatson09 (original poster) at 10:49 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• the only way that nipple stimulation will be enough to have an impact, really, is if you have a breast pump and use it. Some people say inserting capsules of evening primrose oil into the vagina will help with dilating&effacing, but when I asked my dr about it he said semen works better LOL. So yep, that's about all you can do...walk a lot, have unprotected sex, and the continuous nipple stimulation that a breast pump offers.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 10:54 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• sex itself isnt the labor starter....semen causes the cervix to soften, orgasm can start contractions.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 10:57 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• so the warm or hot bath wont do anything?
    kewatson09

Comment by kewatson09 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Why do you want to push things?

Nipple stimulation might help, but I don't think it's too safe.

Anyhow, there is an important reason that you are still pregnant.
    Baby and body aren't ready for labor (quite yet).
    But they will be
    --soon.

For effective methods (that are safe) consider sex & walking.

And keep in mind that 40 weeks = the mid-point within the average (estimated) due period. You could be pregnant a month from now, too~ still be normal-healthy-fine.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I don't know anything about effective ways but I do know you can sit for a long time without anything changing.
    With my second baby I was at 3cm dilated and 70% effaced having regular contractions of 3 minutes apart that would go in runs sometimes for up to 12 hours and nothing ever changed. In the end the pain level got to where I needed loratab to function as well as ambien to sleep because of how things were running so my OB chose to induce me ( a good thing the boy came out at almost 9 pounds of baby).
    Hang in there, it sucks and it isn't a lot of fun but it will be over soon and you'll get to hold that beautiful new little one in your arms and it'll be worth it.
    (I also had a nurse tell me they're easy to care for on the inside than the outside. I wanted to punch her in the nose, but she was right!)
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• why not just have sex?:)) i've heard stories about the warm bath,i think it helps with the pain,not necessarily with dilatation. do some walking,that usually does wonders.
    romomomof2

Answer by romomomof2 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2010