How would i go about finding my biological family with out having to go through job and family services?

I was adopted really know nothing about them. I have a letter from her but that is it and her name maybe Debbie. The county said i need to pay 50$ for process fees then another amount once that goes through. and another high amount to get in contact with them to see if they are willing to see me and some more money so i can contact her personally from them. My mother said she wants me to find her if i want but money isssues are huge right now. idk what to do. i feel with the history of the family and all the illnesses i am really running out of time and it may be too late. are there options out side of contacting the county?

alangel17

Asked by alangel17 at 6:47 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Adoption

• Yes loads. Start by going to the Adoption Search Resource Group http://www.cafemom.com/group/35065
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would register for free with the international soundex registry

http://www.plumsite.com/isrr/

its free. you have to mail it in though. but if there is a match they contact you for free. its worth a shot.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 8:50 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There are adoption registries that help adults that were adopted as children find their birth parents. I know that some of them require that the adoptee and the birth parent both be looking for the other. If you register on the sites, they can try to match people up.

You don’t have to pay anything. I have family that used one years ago and were successful in their search.
    NorthernVaMommy

Answer by NorthernVaMommy at 10:45 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Have you tried going through the Adoption agency that facilitated the adoption?
    wonderyearsmom

Answer by wonderyearsmom at 2:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you are searching, PLEASE, do not rely soley on registries or bulletin boards to find who you are looking for. Most people complete their searches through the help of a group. The odds of finding who you are looking for in a registry (all of them together) or on a bulletin board are about 9000 to one against.
    example~

NEW YORK STATE REGISTRY
    35 matches in 9 years, of adoptees with "birth" parents, were facilitated by New York's State Registry as of 6-92, despite 2,119 adoptees and 932 "birth" parents registered, at an average cost of $275 each. New York Dept. of Social Services

Dead People cannot register- The Registries are not advertised. People may have moved out of state and are unaware of their existence. Find- and network with search and support groups.

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 3:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2008