advice on 7 week old with acid reflux

The docotrs said my 7 week old has acid reflux. I breastfeed and tried cutting all dairy and caffeine out of my diet for 6 days and gave her zantac and she is still fussy. I prop her up at night to sleep and hold her up for 20 min. after feedings.
Any advice would be helpful

dominique1108

Asked by dominique1108 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Try nursing the baby with her head higher than her stomach, almost in a seated position, this helps if you have an overabundant supply too. That may be causing some fussiness and gravity will help her. Try shorter more frequent feedings, burping often. her little belly is about the size of an egg so it fills fast. Introducing formula may trigger a cows milk allergy and may not even help. It might even make it worse. When my 3rd was about that age he cried non-stop and vomited yellowy butter stuff. I tried all these things and then some! Then one day after about 2 wks he just stopped. Hang in there, it'll get better!
    BFlady

Answer by BFlady at 11:40 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You might have to cut out other things as well. Unfortunately this process is trial and error. I would cut out citric stuff next. And it may be a combo of things. I'm really sorry you have to go threw this. It tore at my heart when my first one had it. You might also check out Kellymom and see if there's any info on there; I'm not sure if there is but it's worth a try.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 11:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My best advice would be to put her on an added rice formula even though you are breastfeeding. If formula is completely outta the question for you talk to your dr about it see if there is anything else you can do.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:08 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• My son was on Axid and it worked wonders. We continued to EBF. There ARE other meds besides Zantac and Axid, which are the same type of drug. There are PPI's which work differently to help the reflux.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It can take 2 weeks for dairy to fully be out of your system and you won't see results immediately. Also have her sleep at an angle with her upper half at about a 45 degree angle. And after eating try and keep her upright as long as possible.

Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I couldn't eat dairy for 8 months while EBF my son! Check the ingredients ... ds would spit up if I would eat a couple crackers that had some dairy component in them! He was VERY sensitive to it. Now he's 18 months and doesn't have any issues - it does get better! He was on zantac and that did help along with the lack of all dairy! I would definately give it longer than 6 days to see if she is sensitive to a certain food group before thinking it isn't a culprit! Good Luck!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 4:07 PM on Dec. 9, 2010

• Have you talked to a lactation consultant? They may have some good ideas for you.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I didn't breast feed my son he was on formula & what I did was added some rice cereal to his formula & that helped him out a lot.
    NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• It can take longer than a week for dairy to get out of your system. Talk to a lactation consultant with the letters IBCLC after her name. Lactation consultants are much more knowledgeable about these sorts of things than most doctors.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2010