If Wikileaks violated the espionage act, did the news organizations that printed its content also?

Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman has been blasting WikiLeaks over the past week and successfully pressured Amazon.com to kick the organization's content off its servers.

Lieberman kept up the attack on Tuesday. During a Fox News interview, Lieberman claimed that WikiLeaks is responsible for the "most serious violation of the Espionage Act in our history" and should be indicted in a U.S. court. But Lieberman then suggested that news organizations that published leaked material — originally obtained by WikiLeaks — may have also violated the Espionage Act.

"I'm not here to make a final judgment on that," Lieberman said. "But to me the New York Times has committed at least an act of bad citizenship, but whether they have committed a crime, I think that bears very intensive inquiry by the Justice Department." You can watch a clip of the Lieberman interview here, via Business Insider.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:02 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wkileaks is in fact a news organiation in the sense that there is no apparent evidence that it committd the ' espionage [ itself. i am surprised anyone still takes Lieberman's remarks seriously.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I should think that while it may have not been "illegal," it was MORALLY and ETHICALLY wrong to publish something that could negatively affect the lives and livelihoods of FELLOW AMERICANS, in order to sell newspapers and magazines!! Personally I would never purchase such, as I don't even WANT to know such details! As "juicy" as it may sound, there are simply some things that we don't NEED to know!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• So no one remembers the Pentagon Papers? It's not 'juicy'. DynCorp is trafficking young boys i Afghanistan with taxpayer money. Is that something we don't need to know? This was suspected and talked about but confirmed through diplomatic cables released by wikileaks.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Joe Liberman sounds like Joe McArthy.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Who supplied the info to Wiki? How many are involved? THEY are the root of the problem. THEY endangered their brothers and sisters.

I do not know if being uniformed is the answer. Our government (as well as many others) has never been exactly transparent. It's a new era, for better or worse.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:35 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• But if our Government is doing something "illegal," it was MORALLY and ETHICALLY wrong??

Do we the people have a right to know what our government is doing?

Is it right for our Government to put our men and women in danger and a lot have even have died. For false information? should we know this or not??

If our Government has not a thing to hide then let them print the information they have!!
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• All I know is they put us in danger by leaking out government information. This kind of stuff would never be allowed back in the 40s and 50s...if it did the allies would not of won WWII.
    Brickhouse95

Answer by Brickhouse95 at 11:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Absolutely
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 8, 2010