How can I get better sleep?

I am pregnant now. I have tried sleepy time tea, Tylenol PM ( doesn't do anything) and Benadryl ( this doesn't work either). Is there anything else I can try?

Egyptianeyes

Asked by Egyptianeyes at 11:07 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Trying doing some light work outs before bedtime and/or taking a warm bath.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• You shouldn't be taking the tylenol pm or the benadryl they are both bad for you. Print out info on Valerian Root, Red Clover and Lobelia, then ask your doctor. These are all natural herbs and don't have any side effects but you must always ask you doctor for the safety of the baby. I doubt that he would be okaying the tylenol or benadryl.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:12 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Start an evening routine, at least an hour. No computer or TV during that time. Have a cup of tea, take a bath (not too hot!), wash your face, brush your teeth, put on lotion, read for 30 minutes, then go to bed. Make your room and bed only for sleep and sex. If you work in your bed, STOP. If you can't stop your mind from racing, try saying in your head, "Sleeeeeep, sleeeeeeep, sleeeeeeep" with each breath, pushing out those thoughts that can keep you up. This all may take time to get used to, but if you make things routine, it can really help. Also, haveyour DH give you a back rub, if that's a possibility. Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:21 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• try having a nice warm to hot bath it worked for me
    Sara_Carter

Answer by Sara_Carter at 11:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• same here!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 1:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I was told it was okay to take the tylanol pm but I don't know about the benedaryl. I was recomended unisom for sleep with both pregnancies and in the end with baby no. 2 they ended up having to give me ambien there at the end due to pain, but they had awnted me to use the other stuff first and only resorted to the other after those stopped working. However, I am bipolar and was off the lithium that helps control the mania and frankly, even when I'm not preggers I don't sleep right soo..
    It's always best to bring it up with your doctor. If it's a discomfort issue, try pillows or I had to put an airbed on top of our regular bed.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 2:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• go for a walk in fresh air,dance,read a book...makes me super tired...
    romomomof2

Answer by romomomof2 at 9:16 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thank you everyone for your help. I will try these new things. And for the record I was told by my OB to try Tylenol PM, Benadryl and even Unisom. So I'm not taking them without talking to her first.
    Egyptianeyes

Comment by Egyptianeyes (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Dec. 9, 2010