Do you believe " it's the thought that counts". Is always true?

Depending on the person giving it and the cirumstances. If your elderly grandmother buys you a sweater that is not exactly in your generation of style (most of us have been there). The first 3 xmas with S.O he bought me gifts in front of me took them home wraped them and said I could open them on xmas. My suprsise stuff in my stocking were things like packs of steak knives from the $1 store, the bag of 300 hair ties for little girls, sets of glass "custer bowls" ($1 store) and then either a sugar jar like the ones in the restauraunts, or a vinager bottle, 1 taper candle.
Not trying to sound petty but I was kind of hurt when I had put so much thought and effort into planning things for him every year. I give up this year.

1nglmom3

Asked by 1nglmom3 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Shopping

• I don't think "it's the thought that counts" applies in your case. Sounds to me like he isn't putting any thought into it at all. Have you talked to him about it?
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:27 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• i think it depends on how you were raised. some people really enjoy the surprises, while others would rather have cash or a gift card, or literally pick the gift themselves. i know a man that was "poor" as a child, and married a woman whose family made a big deal of gifts. after his first christmas with her he realized that he had to change. maybe not all men will reach that same conclusion.
    good luck and merry christmas!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Id be sad too- maybe give him a gift that is the result of the amount of thought he gives you- and hell think twive about his lack of acknowlegment.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Wow ! He seems like he doesn't have a clue. I think I'd give him a list next year for some suggestions on what you would like.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I DO think it's the thought that counts. At least he tried. Some men just don't have it in them. Doesn't make them bad, or thoughtless. Merry Christmas.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• obviously he is not putting the thought into your gifts like you say you are into his. That doesnt sound very good to me. I think you should say something to him about it. And if it is just about not knowing what to get you for Christmas then maybe you should work on giving him better hints when it is close to Christmas and if that is not the case then he just needs to stop being lazy and put in the effort. Part of the fun of Christmas is not knowing what you are going to get. Why should you have to pick out your own gift? And the other things you listed didnt seem very good. More like he doesnt care to try. I think you should be upset and if he doesnt know you well enough by now to be able to pick something out that you would like then he needs to learn more about you. Then again you could always not try with him and get him something like dollar store tools he already has or maybe some dollar store coffee cups or something;.
    -Q-

Answer by -Q- at 11:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Really I don't want anyone spending their money on me. I can buy anything I want whenever I want, so I'd be just as happy if they buy themselves something nice.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:48 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• Ur Gma is one thing....that man needs a list period. He doesnt care....he just knows u need gifts....men arent sharp like that....lol
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think its the thought that counts.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 4:02 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• im sorry mama but you should talk to him about it tell him how you feel but i do think it is the thought that counts but for him like the ladies say he has no clue but i hope it get better for you mama
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 5:03 PM on Dec. 9, 2010