how many words can your toddler say?

My oldest is 22 months and says mama , dada , nana , baba. No matter how hard we trry he wont talk in sentences or say more words. Could he be a slow learner or should i just be patient and let him pick it up in his own time?

vleigh

Asked by vleigh at 11:36 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is also 22 months and he talks a lot. We started him on sign language and he took to it like a duck to water! I think it really helped his language development. He says all his colours, letters and some numbers. He know different animals and toys and everyone has a name. He LOVES to talk on the phone.
    It's cute now but I'm sure I'll hate it when I can't shut him up in two years ;)
    Don't worry about your son, he will develop in his own time. If you are worried ask his doctor at the next apt.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well its a little different because my dd speaks Spanish:)

Ha ha...but she talks in sentences....she is 3 though..

Give it time!! Every child is different :)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 7, 2010

• He'll talk when he's ready. My daughter had just a basic vocab and then all of a sudden she is saying words like jungle and tractor and other words that I don't normally say all the time! Give it time. You're doc will ask you that at his 2 year well-baby check, you could mention it then.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 21 months and only says momma and dadda. Her cousin is six weeks older than her and has a FULL vocab! I went to the doctor and was so worried that something was wrong, or that I wasn't doing enough! But, she said that all toddlers are different and that as long as she's communicating in her own way all is well. Also, toddlers who are early in physical development and milestones take a little longer on the other ones. Lex was walking at 10 months and hasn't stopped running since.
    terahg

Answer by terahg at 12:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• At 22 months my son was between 5 and 10 words. Now at 30 months (2.5) he is up to about 40 with the help of speech therapy. At their 2yr check up bring it up with the pediatrician and see what they say. It never hurts to ask. And they have other questions they will ask to that will help determine if it really is an issue. :)
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 1:51 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My son is 15 months...he was three months preemie so we're surprised at how quick his vocabulary isexpanding. He speaks spanglish...full sentences when he really wants something
    Ronique1989

Answer by Ronique1989 at 3:43 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If you're concerned, talk to your pediatrician. He/she is in the best position to help determine if it should be of concern to you. If your child is otherwise on target developmentally, it's probably less of an issue. Our son wasn't talking at 18 months and we had him evaluated for speech therapy through our state's Early Intervention program (might be called something different in your state but they all have them). He received in home therapy 3 times a week and made wonderful progress.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 16months and can say about 20-30ish words, she only uses about 10-15 on a day to day basis, she can say words clear if we ask her to say them, she repeats alot.
    jillbe

Answer by jillbe at 6:29 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• ny daughter can say momma, nana, bite, bye bye, night night, and cookie. what worries me is she can talk ok when shes here but when she comes back from her dads all she wants to do is grunt
    sarahsmom0309

Answer by sarahsmom0309 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would just let him learn in his own time... make sure that you are talking directly to him a lot, and not in baby talk... he'll pick it up! He'll probably go through little spurts of talking, then almost no talking, then talking again, etc.
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 12:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2010