how can i help my son to loose his attitude proublem

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Dec. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You're going to have to be a bit more specific. For instance - age, grade, exactly what attitude problems he's having. If you don't then the best thing I can say is to be consistent and not put up with it. As soon as he disrespects, send him to his room for 1/2 hour or take away a privilege.
    kameka

Answer by kameka at 12:31 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I always tell my son that he needs to speak to people respectfully and behave because that is how you should treat others, but also because I want him to be welcome wherever he goes. I've told him that if he is rude and disrespectful, after a while, people will maybe not want him around them.

If he has attitude with you, my line is "I don't talk to you that way and you WILL NOT speak to me that way. I am your mother, I don't deserve that and it will stop." Then, like kameka said, I take away a privilege - usually TV or computer time. A couple of times when he first started with a little attitude, I made him write me a letter of apology.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 7:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• What works with mine is making him write it twenty times lol. He hates it. It's a good reminder for him. Kind of a visual aid.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 10:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, writing it out 20 times is great!

But it depends on what the attitude problem is, and if there is an underlying cause. It might require a talk with the pediatrician or a counselor. Is he struggling, frustrated, depressed? There is usually a good reason for negative attitudes in school aged children. Teenagers however... forget it. LOL
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:22 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Attitude is a tricky thing. When my son has attitude I tell him he needs to straighten up and be respectful and if he doesn't he will lose privileges.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010