Who owns the stuff of a religion?

I just came across this blog on CNN, and it reminded me a lot of some of the recent questions I've seen here and in the other section.

What are your thoughts on his blog? I'm particularly interested in your thoughts about him saying that "no religion ever made it anywhere without mixing things up", and that no one really "owns" these beliefs, religious symbols, and rituals, but I'd love to hear opinions on any of it.

a>

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 12:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• "Something is lost, of course, when yoga is Americanized and Jesus is Hinduized, but no religion ever made it anywhere without mixing things up." I think I agree with the last part of this sentence, but I'm not sure I know what he means by 'something is lost'. I'm not sure I agree with that, unless I'm taking that in a way that he doesn't intend. I don't think we really 'lose' anything when ideas are shared, it just changes. Maybe he didn't mean it that way. I don't know.

I really agree with what you said here, especially "I don't think we lose anything when ideas are shared." I think taking from a religion or practice something that touches you is always a good thing. =)

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:44 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Satan would like to believe he owns those that believe Jesus to not be the Son of God.

Couldn't resist, could you, Shan. *sigh*

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:12 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well, I think I get his general point on this, but I don't quite get the correlation between Jesus and yoga. Yes, Jesus is the divine savior of Christianity, but the Hindus didn't adapt him to fit their belief. It is believed that there is Asian scripture that states Jesus visited India and Tibet during his life. So, the exposure to Jesus for Hindus and Buddhists came before Christianity even became a religion. Yoga, however, was introduced to America and Europe by Swami Vivekananda in the late 1800's. Yoga has been adapted quite a bit, but although Hindus do not believe Jesus to be the only way to God as Christians do, they didn't adapt the tenets of Christianity. All of this really is besides the point, because I do understand where he was going with it. I just think he chose a bad example for it.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Sorry...it cut off the link

CNN BLOG: Who owns Jesus? Who Owns Yoga?
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Well, I think I get his general point on this, but I don't quite get the correlation between Jesus and yoga.
    -------------------------

There's been a lot of stuff in the news fairly recently about some Christians saying that as Christians, they shouldn't be doing yoga. I think that's why he used those examples. Many Christians do yoga though, so it's just some people saying that. He's saying this is what led him to these other questions.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 8:06 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• So, the exposure to Jesus for Hindus and Buddhists came before Christianity even became a religion.

---------------------

Personally, I think this is true. I believe Jesus was probably a Buddha too.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I generally agree with his opinion, but in trying to use trademarks and copyrights as a metaphor to understanding his questions, I think some of his wording may be off putting to some people.

"Something is lost, of course, when yoga is Americanized and Jesus is Hinduized, but no religion ever made it anywhere without mixing things up." I think I agree with the last part of this sentence, but I'm not sure I know what he means by 'something is lost'. I'm not sure I agree with that, unless I'm taking that in a way that he doesn't intend. I don't think we really 'lose' anything when ideas are shared, it just changes. Maybe he didn't mean it that way. I don't know.
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Who owns it ? Well Jesus is not owned by anyone.

------------

So, you agree with some of what he's saying, just not all of it. I'd be curious to hear more. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 8:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• The ruling elite own everything. Religion, politics, media, our education, medicines, even our food and water supply. As far as religious symbols, rituals and such; those things are natural communication gateways for the entire universe, and they existed long before God or religion was even a word.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 5:38 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would say that nobody 'owns' any of it. We all create it in our minds. We have our own 'personal Jesus'... or Buddha.... or Vishnu. That doesn't change based on what other people do with an idea and whether we agree with it or not. A lot of blending and borrowing has occured by ALL religions over the years (Christmas trees come to mind.) I don't think anything is 'lost' in this cross-over of ideas, but then again I'm pretty pluralistic and think the diversity of paths is a good thing.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:14 PM on Dec. 8, 2010