hand foot mouth virus

I have 3 children and my middle child has hand foot mouth virus its not too her mouth yet but the dr only gave her tylenol with codine for the pain. so any advice on how to help with the pain and how to keep the other two kids from getting it

dominique1108

Asked by dominique1108 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My 1 year old got it this summer from his cousin and 4 year old son did get it , but not nearly as bad. He just had a fever for about a day. I am not sure how you can avoid the others getting it. I would just try to keep them apart. Unfortunately I just thought my son was fussy because he was teething so I just kept giving him motrin and rubbing his gums with those teething swab. The orajel ones that look like a q-tip. When I figured out what he had the doctor said the teething swabs had numbed the effects of the sores in his mouth. Maybe you could try those.
    jwickum

Answer by jwickum at 12:53 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thanks for the advice. My daughter is teething so i was blaming the fussiness and waking up all the time on the teeth and kept giving her motrin and tylenol also. I'll try the orajel swabs.
    Thanks
    dominique1108

Comment by dominique1108 (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I would just keep them apart and keep giving meds as needed.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010