This is my second pregnancy & with my first one i had a c-section. Now my doctor is telling me i should try for a VBAC birth. If anyone has had a VBAC please let me know what to expect. And is a VBAC better than having another c-section? adult content

oktober2010

Asked by oktober2010 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You have one good doc there! A VBAC is MUCH safer than a repeat c-section (contrary to popular belief). The recovery is much better, too. The "big" risk with a VBAC is uterine rupture, and there is a 0.5% risk of that. Your risk of infection post op is higher than that. I hope for a VBAC with my next one. Good luck, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:38 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• @ musicpiseces thank you so much for clearing my mind! at first i was scared of a vaginal birth but now that i know that its safer i will most definely be trying for one....thanks!
    oktober2010

Comment by oktober2010 (original poster) at 12:45 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• If the doctor thinks you are a candidate, go for it. I was not a candidate because the problems I had with the first one would most likely happen with my secound. I tossed it around for half my pregnancy though. I made a decision for a repeat c-section and thankfully it went great, but my risks will be even higher the more children I have and the weeks leading up to my c-section I couldn't help but be terrified and knowing my son's birthday seemed very unnatural. If I could have, i would have had VBAC if only to make my next pregnancies (if I have more children) that easier and safer. Just do the research so you are informed and then you will be happy with your decision.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It would be safer, so better in that aspect.

After a cesarean delivery it might be harder because of the fears that come with the history, but with info-support-encouragement-confidence, you can have a wonder & safe natural delivery.

Will you have a birth doula?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• i had a c-section with my first. i tried a vbac with my second child and was in labor for 5 days and only got to 6cm and ended up a c-section anyway. will be having my 3rd and final c-section in May. i did all my research, hypno-birthing classes, lamaze classes, praying, everything natural to induce, etc etc...i just was not meant to have kids vaginally.  what a flaw! a lot of people say the womans body is made up for giving birth vaginally, but that is not true...that is why a lot of women have died in the past, trying to give birth.  some women have it easy and others have horror stories of their labors.  good luck to you!  my doc said i had a 50/50 chance...  hope it goes well for you. 

Katie80620

Answer by Katie80620 at 2:19 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It's safer than a repeat c-section.

My sister had one. Her labor progressed just like any other labor. Her total labor was less than 7 hours with no complication. She was up and moving within a few hours and went to a baby shower the next day.

She says it was MUCH better than her c-section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Dec. 8, 2010