Is is normal for my 4 year old to be showing his privates at school? adult content

About a year ago an older boy asked my son to see his privates and he did. He then came home and told us about it. We talked to him and told them that they are called private for a reason and not to do it again. Then tonight he said he and another boy at school showed each other their privates today. I have read this is normal, but now my son is the one iniating it. How do I get him to understand this is not OK? Should we be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Let me tell you, boys and their weenies! As long as it's not excessive I wouldn't worry. Keep letting him know it's not appropriate behavior, but like anything else we tell our children not to do, they will still try here and there. My son didn't stop with weiner comments and similar things until he was about 8. We just didn't give it a lot of attention, because I think that's what he was going for. Also, little boys think it's funny.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thank you for your thoughts. He is obssessed with pee, poop, weiners and butts....so I guess I have a few more years of this obession. I will try not to worry, but you know us Moms...we are always worrying.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I think a lot of it is probably the age right now. Curiosity and immaturity have a lot to do with it. However, I would keep reinforcing that this behavior is NOT okay...especially at school or around other people. If he wants to explore his own body, that is fine as long as he is at home, in PRIVATE. Tell him that you appreciate him being honest but that no one else needs to see his privates. Also, where is this happening at school? Where are the teachers? I'd like to know.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:00 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It is happening on the playground at school. The first time it was underneath the picnic bench and this time it was behind a planter barrel. I am going to have a talk with the school tomorrow because as far as I am concerned if they aren't able to see all the kids at once then they need to remove the obstacles.
    We definitely reinforced that this is not OK and that if he wants to explore himself he needs to do it in his room. I just don't know how much I shoud talk about it or should just let it go after tonight...or rather after I talk to the school.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yah I think the school needs to be aware of what's going on. Maybe just the extra eyes on the kids will take care of the problem. As far as talking to your son goes, if you feel like you got the message through this time, I'd just let it go. Its very good that he has come to you and told you about the incidents and has been honest and you don't want to ruin that by nagging or getting upset with him you know?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Oh my goodness, I'm so glad I came across this question. My 4 yr old does the same thing! We try talking to him and telling him that he can't do that, but I swear it goes though one ear out the other.
    brownstar

Answer by brownstar at 9:59 PM on Dec. 8, 2010