Was giving birth the worst pain you've ever endured?

FTM here and I'm terrified of childbirth!

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 12:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• DEFINITELY not. Noooo.
    Birth is not all that painful at all.
    It felt: exciting-intense-grounding-big-blissful...
    It would hurt if I allowed it to, but I prefer natural coping strategies for ecstatic birthing.

There are many things you can do to work through your fears and enjoy your delivery~

:-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• NONONONO! Tooth pain/infection is the worst pain ever. Followed by a bad ear infection and then maybe child birth. I know you probably have heard this before, but the pain from the delivery is over as soon as they lay the baby on you. I told my bff that when she was pregnant and she didn't believe me and then after she had her baby, she was like 'you were right'!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 1:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• To be honest, yes. Although I did have two c-sections, I did go through labor with the first-- a full 23 hours. That labor was the worst pain I have ever been in. I think because I finally found out I did not have total control over my body and that was scary.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:01 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Nope. Breaking my arm was worse for me, as were my period cramps, sinus infections and strep throat. It's just a different kind of pain (well, it's very comparable to cramps). I didn't have drugs, either, and my pain tolerance level fluctuates.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Yes, but I made the mistake of using Cytotec (which I didn't research enough before taking, and it is notorious for vicious contractions), and DS was in posterior position, translating to back labor. His head was also tilted, so more surface area was pressing on my bones. Are you considering going naturally? I still want to with #2. The best book I've read for it is "Birthing From Within" by Pam England. I would HIGHLY recommend it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:02 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• no, it wasnt..but i had a c section..

my worst pain was having my eye lid operated on...i had what they call "floppy eyelid syndrome" lol..its because of the way i slept with my eye pretty much squished up against my pillow..it stretched my eyelid, or something...so they had to cut it..to make it smaller..(cuz when i slept my eyelid twisted inside out) so they wanted to make it smaller so that wouldnt happen, and yaaa..i had to be awake during it...and they had to stick needles (about 3-4 different needles, at different times) like RIIIIIIGHT in my eye lid area..(where you would put eyeliner on) and that FRICKIN HUUUUUURT!!!!! omg, nothin has been worse than that, EVER!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Ina May Gaskins books are also really great. She's a midwife (probably the most famous/well known in this country),and my idol. Her book Ina May's Guide to Childbirth really helped me when I was pregnant.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• ohh i will also say that a root canal is worse too!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:04 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• No not at all. I never felt anything thanks to the epidural. The pains afterwards wasn't bad at all either. Worst I ever had was a staph infection that went from the back of my neck almost all the way to my shoulder. I couldn't turn my head in any direction for a week or lay on my side to where my neck would be moved at all. That, for me, was far worse than childbirth.
    LeslieNBreaux

Answer by LeslieNBreaux at 1:08 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• It really really depends on your labor and what you have been through in life. I haven't had a lot of circumstances where pain was involved. Childbirth is SO not the worst pain out there.

That being said... it CAN hurt. I delivered two boys BOTH completely natural (homebirth). The first was more like hard uncomfortable work. Think like bad bad period cramping. The second birth went a LOT faster. Really really quick. It also felt a lot worse. I had a lot of back pain. The important thing to remember is that EVEN IF IT HURTS (which there is no guarantee that it WILL, or if it does how bad it will be) that you are entirely capable of handling it. Your body is doing what it is meant to do and if you set your mind to it (under normal circumstances) and PREPARE yourself for the hard work that it is- it will be bearable, you can make it through. And chances are you'll look back and say 'My goodness it really wasn't that bad!'
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 8, 2010