Does anyone send baked goods over seas?

I would like to send something to a soldier over seas I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to keep them fresh, or if there are certain things that hold up better then others?

joscelyne

Asked by joscelyne at 1:26 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Cookies hold up very well, so do brownies. Cupcakes and muffins that haven't been frosted do ok, send a can of store bought icing along with it if you want. If you use the vaccuum sealed ziplocks that usually works very well. I know some people that have just used gladware and that didn't work out well.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:56 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Oh and fudge does well vaccuum sealed, too, but avoid things like chocolate covered cherries, they usually wind up demolished because they melt. Peanut brittle is another one that does great.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thank you very much!
    joscelyne

Comment by joscelyne (original poster) at 2:13 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Cookies are always a best bet. One thing my husband loved in care packages was fruit. Any kind of canned fuit. snack packs, whatever. I also used to make popcorn then put it in ziplocs to use as packing. They always ate the popcorn. Fudge also does very well. I used to take a 1 lb coffee can spray it with PAM and pour the fudge into it and leave it to cool. After it set up I put it in a box and shippped it. He would just cut a hunk out when he was ready to have a piece.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:30 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Thank you those are awesome ideas too =-)
    joscelyne

Comment by joscelyne (original poster) at 2:37 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Use a food sealer to pack stuff - keeps it fresher AND it doesn't "break" as easy. We used to send stuff every 1-2 weeks to Iraq. Anything can go in those! This time of year it's not so bad to send chocolate - it's just during the summer that it won't arrive unmelted - it should be fine now. If you want something sturdier to put the baked goods in, use a tin - like those pretty decorated ones you can buy with goodies in, just put your own in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Dec. 8, 2010