My son has been sleeping with me since he has been out of the crib.. but i think its time for a big boy bed. what should i expect?

Alright before you guys answer this.. i should probably tell you he just turned 4! yessss i know he should have had his own bed a LONG time ago, but we haven't had the room for it :/ but recently we were able to make room.. so for christmas im going to get him his own bed. im not too sure how he's going to deal with this though.. since hes so used to sleeping with someone. What should i expect?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 8, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• that he is goin 2wake up in the middle of the night and cry bcuz he know that nobody is in bed with him ! it night be hard for him to go asleep alone in his own bed so you hav to find ways to get him to sleep in his own bed without you !
    mrzshanteb23

Answer by mrzshanteb23 at 1:57 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• Just so you feel better, we had the same issue with our son! Don't feel badly about him sleeping with you - everyone makes different decisions. I've taken so much flack for this - believe me, I understand.

I would make a big deal out of getting him the bed (it sounds like you are). But I wouldn't just spring it on him. Talk to him about it, how he's a big boy, is getting his own bed with special sheets, blanket, etc. He probably knows other kids sleep in their own beds, so he'll probably be excited. HOWEVER, expect some trouble transitioning. It is hard to sleep alone after snuggling with mom for so long. When we moved our son into his own bed, we got him a CD player so he could listen to music and get himself to sleep.

Be ready though, we woke up w/ our 8 year old in our bed this morning! Bad dream & he came in in the middle of the night!
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:58 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I agree you need to talk with him and when my children went into beds we took them shopping and let them pick out what they wanted for bedding and sheets. He is probably going to wake up and come into your room because that is what he is sued to. I guess you just have to decide are you going to force him back into his own bed or let him stay with you. You could also try laying down with him, in his bed, until he falls asleep and that might help.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 8, 2010

• First don't feel badly because he is still sleeping with you. To each their own! I would say explain to him what is going to happen before it happens...prepare him for it before you even get the bed. Make it exciting to have his own bed and space. Maybe get sheets that are a theme that he likes, make it inviting. Be prepared for him to wake up and want to be in your bed and take him back to his bed and maybe lay down with him if your getting a twin bed (which if you can do...toddler beds are a waste of money because they out grow them just like a crib). And, be very patient with him. It will all work out in time. I don't know any jr. high /middle school kids still sleeping with momma...lol Good Luck ;o)
    NaturalMomOfTwo

Answer by NaturalMomOfTwo at 2:36 PM on Dec. 8, 2010

• I had the same issue with my first child for a long time. it was hard for me to get her use to sleep on her own bed cuz that means on her own room. so it took her along time to get use to it but i didnt give up even though i felt that it is hard for both of us. i kept on sleeping with her in her room on her bed and then i started telling her that she is a BIG girl now and she should sleep on her bed and i will buy her everything a prinsess need so she can sleep on her bed in her room and that really worked. i had to but her some prinsess sheets and blnkts and a pink night ligth so we are doing great now.
    nadin8

Answer by nadin8 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010