I thought the draft age was 18 what is the mandatory 50 hrs community service Obama wants to enforce on our middle schoolers?

Here's you change girls check it out if you want to help Obama, www.change.gov

I dare him to make my middle schooler to do a frickin thing for him, call me unamerican.

This was taken from his change sight:

Obama will call on citizens of all ages to serve America, by developing a plan to require 50 hours of community service in middle school and high school and 100 hours of community service in college every year. Obama will encourage retiring Americans to serve by improving programs available for individuals over age 55, while at the same time promoting youth programs such as Youth Build and Head Start.

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 7:02 PM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Here's an idea, for you people who think Community Service is good, then have your child volunteer somewhere. For those of you who do not think it should be FORCED by the government, don't. That's called freedom of choice and THAT is what this proposal is trying to take away from us.

And, yes, I and everyone else has a right to debate and criticize any proposals or policies that any administration, past, present or near future, has put in front of us. Last I checked, this WAS America and it was our right to question our elected officials. This isn't 1930's Germany! And already, three days after his election, he was put forth a proposal that I STRONGLY disagree with. It's my right to disagree with him.
    Imogen13

Answer by Imogen13 at 7:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You all elected a dictator. Happy.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:04 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I hope it has to do with taking my garbage out and cutting my grass. I have a hard enough time getting mine to do that. lol.....
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Haha is this for real??? omg...................thank God I didn't vote for him.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:06 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Do you believe everything you read???? You people are seriously stupid. Im sorry i dont support obama by any means but i didnt support freakin Mcain either. Stop believing everything you hear and read. untill it comes out of his mouth and is wrote in stone dont worry about it. He has other things to worrie about. The world needs to get over it we have a new president thats life. You think everyone is going to like who ever was elected No.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• What makes me sick is that he acts like no one ever volunteers. The Unites States has more volunteers than any other country. We donate and help countries in peril more than any other Country. My kids high school has a program specifically for volunteering and both kids volunteered . I volunteer in a Cancer Hospital and help the city during the Holidays. I am sick of hearing Obama threatening to madate all this volunteering. Volunteering is great but I don't want to be forced to do anything by anyone.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I went to that site. EXACTLY, where did you find it? I can't find it
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I would support either candidate that would do something like that!!! After working in middle schools and high schools, I've seen what lazy, rude kids walk through there every day. Maybe raking an old lady's yard or painting a play ground would teach them a little something about working together and being community minded instead of trying to hide their ipod under their hoodies and trying desperately not to learn anything in a day.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• kat122
    http://www.change.gov/americaserves/

right there
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 7:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• you would have whined about victory gardens and war rationing during WW2, too.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:16 PM on Nov. 6, 2008